1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass buzzing needs fixed

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Thaos627, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Thaos627

Thaos627

I noticed a buzzing coming from my amp during band practice & assumed I blew my speaker out. Due to the loudness of it & my hyper sensitive hearing it bugged the **** out of me. After many assumptions & tests I found that if I touch the bridge it stops (as long as im still touching it).

Does anyone know how to get rid of this?
  2. Scott Sauna

Scott Sauna

Try unplugging the amp or get a new instrument cord.
  3. Steveaux

Steveaux

Re-solder the bridge ground.
  4. awamori

awamori

This or look for a cold solder joint.
  5. tsverrir

tsverrir

Just out of curiosity. Are you using tapewounds or coated strings?
    I guess it comes down to ground connection. The bridge is ground connected and normally the strings become ground as well, so the buzz should disappear when you are playing (or just touch the strings). If you use coated strings the ground is not reaching your hands, thus you'll have to touch the bridge for the buzz to go away.

If you are using some compression, that might be the reason for the buzz to be so loud. You probably could adjust the compressor to fix this.

Hope this makes sense.
  6. Thaos627

Thaos627

Ok here's an update:

I havent done anything to my bass yet & I had a recording gig yesterday. I got to the studio, setup, tuned & noticed no buzzing at all. I'm using all the same gear, setup the same way & it just wasnt there.

Anyone believe in bass vibe? I'm starting to feel as if my bass knows if its a bad or good gig & is letting me know (I noticed the buzzing during a band audition, long story short the guitarist is a psycho & the band disbanded on the spot).
  7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Let me guess, you have a passive bass or a passive pickup and active pre-amp. Your bass needs a shielding job.

The buzz is the pickups getting outside interference, it is worse in some rooms than others. If you have a buzz that gets louder when you touch the metal/strings/bridge you have a grounding issue. If the buzz goes away when you touch the metal/strings/bridge you have a shielding issue.

This is a fairly common problem, that most people say cannot be fixed. It can.

Find a good shielding guide on tb here, it is a fairly easy process. Since it will call for copper foil tape, you can source it locally from stained glass supply shops, everything else required is fairly common.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me, I have a lot of experience with shielding and I refuse to play a bass that hums, so I get why others refuse to play them as well.