1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass Cab + Christmas Lights= Good Idea?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bringitlow, Dec 15, 2012.

1. bringitlow

bringitlow

My band is booked to play a show tomorrow night and in the spirit of the holidays, I am planning to wrap my bass head and cab in a string of Christmas lights. (GK 800rb in a rackmount case +Ampeg 410hlf)

I feel like this is a kind of stupid question, but will wrapping the lights around my amp cause any issues? ie RF interference, rattling, etc?

Thanks!
  2. topcat2069

topcat2069 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GK Amps / Warmoth Guitar and Bass Parts
    It will make it brighter than usual....:bag:

I saw Tower Of Power in San Jose and they had chase lights on all their equipment (even their mic stands) and I didn't notice and humming or buzzing problems... I was in the audience though .......

use the new low voltage LED lights.....
  3. Jim C

Jim C Supporting Member

I played a big show on Christmas night many years ago and everything was wrapped in the conventional small lights
    Looked kinda cool on the video and no audio problems
  4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

If it were me I would definitely use low voltage LED lights. My drummer has strings of them around his riser and kick drums. Very cool looking and no problems as far as I have noticed.
  5. Dom_Bass_2

Dom_Bass_2

It works for me!

Attached Files:

6. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    If you're micing the cab you MAY hear them rattling on the grill in the front, for the obvious reason.

DIing, very doubtful.
  7. 2milehighspike

2milehighspike Supporting Member

Go for it, I wraped my amp and mic stand with them last night, use led lights though , they are cooler and won't melt you're tolex.
  8. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

Same here. Wish I would've gotten a better pic with actual stage lighting though... it looks rather unimpressive in this pic. :meh: lol The red rope lights continued all the way around the drum shield, and we had a Christmas tree on the other side of the drums!

5sg.

[​IMG]
  9. fivestringgecko

If you're particularly ambitious, you could wire them up inside the grill like this guy. (Don't remember where I saw these pics, maybe a couple years ago on my Facebook feed?)

5sg.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. LegoBass

LegoBass

This looks awesome, especially with all the chrome on the Hydrive cabs. Now I want to do this with mine, Dang it....:smug:
  11. fivestringgecko

Yeah, I always thought that was pretty hot and can't say I haven't thought about doing the same thing. ;)

Their drummer apparently got in on the action too.

5sg.

[​IMG]
  12. crguti

crguti

^ very nice.
  13. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

The gear slut in me ruins any enjoyment in an otherwise cool picture because I can't take my attention off the 410 + 115 :meh:
  14. thehorse

thehorse

man. it's the best idea ever.