1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass cab for Metal

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by viking67, Jul 1, 2007.

1. viking67

viking67 Supporting Member

Hey guys
    So i've been looking for a while for a cab to match my setup but i haven't had much success so i was wondering if anyone had any advice.

Current gear:

-Warwick 5string FNA Jazzman ( tuned A#-C#-G#-C#-F#. basically E flat tuned with "drop d")

-Gallien-Krueger 2001RB

Ok, so my band plays metal, or "metalcore", reminiscent of bands like killswitch engage, in flames, 40 below summer, and some of the stylings of incubus.

Anyway, i've tried several cabs including a number of ampegs (410hlf, 810e + av, 215, 210), swr 210, behringer ultrabass ba810, yorkville 410 w/ and w/o 115 (yorkville was the worst of them all) and gallien krueger 410rbh. The GK was the one i was really hoping would work out, but i've rented it and gigged with it for a couple months now and its just not it.

one of my guitar players and i were talking about my cabs and the sound during one practice and he said that i have "fantastic tone, but the notes' distinction are lost when playing 16ths and faster, and sometimes even 8th notes". this is exactly how i've been feeling

these cabs, ported and not, all seem to lose distinction in the notes when playing quickly. i totally know its the cabs and not the head or bass because i came close with the gk 410rbh but it wasnt tight enough.

i dont like the tone of guys like mike d'antonio from killswitch or peter iwers of in flames because they always sound so, hmm, klankly i guess. i like the bass punchier and thicker, with a bit of crunch and growl (which is why i love the warwick so much, wicked growl), but with tone. ive been into john campell's sound recently ( from lamb of god) and he uses mesa boogie road ready 810.

so for any metal guys out there, or something close:
    a) what do you use
    and b) any recommendations?

im looking at try a GK 410 or 810 sbx next but i cant seem to find either within 3 hours of vancouver, and also a mesa roady ready 810.

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks guys.
  2. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

a GK sounds like a good bet, I usually try to keep my setups matched when I can.

I'll suggest Hartke cabs though - when you crank them they have really nice, punchy, round tone... I know there's a lot of Hartke bashing around here but it's worth a shot.
  3. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp Supporting Member

Might not be your cabinet...might be your bass or your EQ-ing or your FX or something else. You might get a really good tone playing slow or medium-paced songs, but when you pick up the pace, some things just might have to change to get the definition you're looking for.
  4. Willem

Willem

do you play with your fingers or with a pick?
    I have the same problems with my fingers, never had them when I played with a pick.
  5. Ale

Ale

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: IGiG Cases
    I would suggest the GK NEO 412 , or a GK 410 stack.
    If you play a lot of 16th note stuff you can use a punchy cab , so maybe the 410 route is a good choice. The 2001RB is a sick match with any of theese cabs !
    A lot of metal/hardcore player use the 2001RB-NEo412 combination , it seem to work great for that kind of music.
  6. Ibanez55

Ibanez55

Honestly i dont think its your cab at all. I play that same stuff. it's a symptom of drop tuning , when playing fast with loose strings you begin to lose resonace and the notes arent as strong especially with drop tuned strings.
  7. eedre

eedre

Try working with a gate/limiter. It'll separate your notes.
  8. alfredpunkjazz

alfredpunkjazz

+1

Maybe, work on your technique thinking about this particular issue... Just an opinion.
  9. biggerisbeter

biggerisbeter

i had the same problem i have a warwick 5 string double buck the tuned a d g c f with 135 on the low a. the strings where too loose to get a punchy sound so what i did is tuned up to drop c since that is what the guitars where tuned to that made a huge difference. now i use a 4 string p bass with the 4 low strings from a 5 string set and sounds awsome just up tune. i am running an eaton wt 550 head two swr 8x10 cabs and a roger watters p bass.
  10. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah

+ 1

Increasing the speed to 16th notes can call for a change in EQ to get the most from the notes you are playing. I would say a GK 4x12 neo would be a solid cab so pair with the 2001rb, it also won't break your back while giving you plenty of volume. On the original topic though, try EQing or make your signal a little more "dry" when you are doing fast runs like that. Effects and other such things really just get in the way with really fast lines sometimes.
  11. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Zombie thread strikes again