1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass Cab/Head Help Please help me !

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tripperthe3, Jan 16, 2013.

1. tripperthe3

tripperthe3

So, i have been playing bass for about 3-4 years, yes i know not long at all but i play in an actively gigging band.

So when i got my first stack is was this dusty old thing that my neighbor kept in his basement with a custom build cab and a Fender BXR 200 head.

My problem is that the speakers recently just went crazy on me and both of the speakers suddenly get extremely loud buzzing when i play on my A string this started 2 days ago with all my normal settings on my head. I know its not the head because i have checked it with a friends cab. Also, one speaker is completely destroyed.

SO i was wondering what kind of speakers should i replace them with or if i should just buy a whole new Cab and is the head i am using is right.

if you need any more pictures please ask, i am desperately in need of help since my band has a lot of shows coming up.

Attached Files:

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

If you like the way the head sounds then keep it and replace the cab. Seems a little ( Okay, a lot) underpowered for my taste, but........

As for the cab, I think you need an 8x10. Ampeg preferably. They sell used in the $500 range.
  3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Or a 212,412,410 or 215 cab.
  4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

2x12?

You could justify lashing out on a whole new rig since you've had your money's worth out of the current one. Maybe that's more than you need, want, should spend on a hobby or perhaps the band is a cash cow.

What's the budget, playing situation, PA situation? Where you at?
  5. tripperthe3

tripperthe3

Well, right now we use a full range PA with 2 speakers and monitors, and the rest of the band has cabs with heads.

Right now the band is at the point where we play out at least 3-4 times a month with 2 practices a week and since we are an all original band we are sadly not making any money right now.

My cab has surprisingly been extremely loud and have never had to turn it up past half way.

I would say my budget is sorta in the lower range either $100-$250 range. (mainly saving money for college/laptop and upgrading dj gear for work) So i am not sure if i should buy a whole new cab or just fix the one i have now and save up to dish out the big bucks later.

Also, what are your opinions on a big muff distortion pedal for bass?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Electro...33458-i1422000.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&cagpspn=pla

thank you for all the help so far!
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Halfway can be getting close to full power on some amps, it is full on on my my Trace, so don't place too much store in that.

$250 isn't getting you much in the way of a new cab, even in USA.

You're probably best to replace the drivers with some budget Eminence, depending on the cab volume, porting, and driver size someone might give you a hand with that or you can compare the stock eminence plans that are published with the specsheets.

Fuzz pedals, hmmmm, fun to use, take up every last dollar you have if you're not careful. I havent used that one. It's amazing what you can do by tearing into the string at the bridge with your fingertips. I managed fine for years and years before coming to TB.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Um, if you need a reliable gig rig, then hold off on a pedal. Spend your money on drivers for the cab if you only have a coupe hundred bucks (unless you sneak up on a great deal used for a decent cab).
  8. tripperthe3

tripperthe3

9. walkerci

walkerci

10. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Sure is cheap. I don't like 4x10 for their lack of even tone distribution. If the legends work in your cab that's the way to go. Mind the impedance too. Two 8ohm gets you a 4 ohm cab making best use of limited power.
  11. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

I'd say go used given your budget, you'll likely find something better at that price. Look at Peavey, Hartke, GK, and Ampeg for starters, lots of good deals to be had with those makes.

And again, doesn't have to be 4-10, look at 2-15s and 2-12s, too. With that kind of power you need a fair amount of speakers to be heard in a band mix.

Try your amp with the cab to be sure it's sounds good to you before you plunk down the cash, too.
  12. tripperthe3

tripperthe3

13. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

You mean use the fender as preamp? Could do. Enough power to kill your new speakers twice over.

I think you meant use eq into the power amp though? No good without a preamp. You could flick the fender to buy a Sansamp RPM which would give you a DI most soundguys are happy to use.

Thing is, if the fender was running out of puff, doubling the power wouldn't be making you much louder anyway. The 2x15 should have pretty good sensitivity so you would be heading into stoopid loud territory. It sounds like your volume was ok before the breakdown.

How are your cab measurements coming along?
  14. tripperthe3

tripperthe3

well what i meant was just use the QSC alone as an amp and run a EQ through it for my bass with out using the fender at all.

and by cab measurements do you mean what kind of cab am i looking to buy or about the one i own already?
  15. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

you'll need a preamp to drive that power amp. If your Fender has an effects or preamp out you could use that no problem.

DUW means measuring your current cab for internal volume so as to determine what drivers you can put in there. You'd model using WinISD or another cabinet design program.

If that's the route you want to go.........
  16. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Rack EQ needs a preamp in front of it. Pedal eq won't drive power amp. As a rule.

You can't stuff any bass driver in any bass cab. Volume internally and size and length of ports must be considered with the thiele-small properties of the speakers. Help is at hand if you cough up the measures.
  17. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Sierra types faster than me.
  18. tripperthe3

tripperthe3

well originally i had 15 inch speakers in them that fit perfectly before they went out on me is this what you mean? Sorry i am very new to measuring all this before i just had an amp and played with settings til i found what i liked.
  19. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

my electrons reach him just a microsecond faster than you because I'm in Cali :D
  20. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Length width height inside box,
    ditto vents