Bass Cabinet Questions/And Building Help!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Nexany, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Nexany

Nexany

Hi everyone!
    I have some questions in my mind about Bass cabinets.

I have got a Behringer BX300 bass amp wich has 10" speaker,
    i love "bassy" bass tone so i always keep my EQ about Bass 70%, Mid 50%, High 20%.
    But my problem is that, it distorts the sound at about 50% volume.
    And im sure it wont be enought volume for a smaller concert(In a pub for example) with a drummer.
    My first question, is a 1x10" cabinet will sound louder than my amp? Or if i build a 1x12 or 1x15 will it make much difference in volume according to my Behringer amp?
    I haven't got bass amp head, so i can only use Behringer BX300 as a head(Cabinet connected to it on "Phones" Input) Can i do it?

And i would like to build a bass cabinet, 1x12" or 1x15" i don't know. Can you show me any webpages which has a guide about the bass cabinet building and which is very detailed and and also tell me the materials and sizes. Step by step. Because it would be my first build :) :bassist:

Very Thank You!
    And Happy New Year!:smug:
  2. PipeRain

PipeRain Operator Of Pointy Basses Supporting Member

A cabinet with a better speaker, or a better speaker in the amp you have, will help with the distortion issues, but to hold your own against a drummer in a club environment you are going to need a lot more than 30 watts. Unless of course it a very quiet jazz situation where the drummer plays exclusively with brushes, even then 30 watts might be a stretch. In order to be heard you will most likely want to re-arrange your EQ rather significantly as well....
  3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Boosting the bass EQ on a Behringer 1 X 10 and it distorts? I'm not surprised. Suffice it to say, I would not base any upgrades (new cabs, etc) on the existing Behringer platform...sorry. If in your shoes, I would resign to the Behringer to bedroom / practice duty, save my money, and look a little more closely at some of the used gear offerings in your area. I admire your ambition and sense of adventure but, coupled with the expense and what I sense to be some degree of inexperience, I feel the money can be better spent. There's a lot of really nice "off the rack" gear which can be had on the cheap and will definitely be an improvement over your existing rig. If you are truly commited to a new cab build, you may want to consider greenboy's designs or something from Bill Fitzmaurice. Either way, good luck with the project!

Riis
  4. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

First, what you have is a practice amp. You can't push the bass eq up and expect it to sound good. Try CUTTING the bass and boosting the mids. And 2nd, you cannot connect an ext cab through the headphone jack, line out jack, or ANY jack except a dedicated SPEAKER OUTput, which I assume that amp does not have. I agree, keep the combo for practice at home, and start saving up for a proper bass rig in the 300-500 watt range. The BIG thing will be spkr cabs, and bigger is better. Think 4x10, 2x12, 2x15, etc, if you want to be loud.
  7. Nexany

Nexany

Thanks!
    For RickenBoogie

Behringer BX300 also has:
    -Tape in
    -Pre amp out
    -Power Amp in

The amp description says:
    " Its preamp output lets you easily add an external amp and speakers if need be."

I found the Ashdown MAG 115 Deep Cabinet Dimensions.
    But it has 2 holes in the back and i dont know it's diameter.
    Can you help me?
  8. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

You CANNOT simply run another cab

You would need another amp (or power amp) AND a speaker cab.

And even then, you will be amplifying the "Behringer" sound.

Best to accept your amp for what it is - bedroom practice.
  9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

As has been said already, you CANNOT just add another speaker to your combo amp. You need to forget trying to "upgrade" that into something it is not. Save some money up, and look for used bass rigs that are seperate amplifiers and speaker cabinets. That combo will not get you where you want to be.