Bass cabs

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by The Stingray, Feb 20, 2014.

1. The Stingray

The Stingray

Hi there, hope you guys are well. I just wanted to ask the pro's & con's of having 4ohm as opposed to 8ohm cabs ? Cheers
  2. sinbad7

sinbad7

I run a 4 ohm cab and love it, but I have an 8x10, so odds are, I won't be adding a second cab. The downside to having a 4 ohm is that if you add a second 4 ohm, you are now running at 2 ohm and a lot of amps won't handle that. With and 8 ohm, if you add a second 8 ohm, then you are at a wonderful 4 ohms. If you ever want to add a second cab, I would just go with an 8 ohm cab. If you are looking at going big right away or don't plan on getting another cab, go with the 4 ohm
  3. nashman

nashman

I chose 2 x 4 ohm cabs - only because my amp is 2 ohm stable. If your amp can only handle a max 4 ohm load, go with 8 ohm cabs. The volume difference with one cab 8 ohm vs 4 ohm will be negligible - with the benefit of future expansion capability.
  4. dropbass

dropbass

I have 2x10 i use vertically for most small gigs... I liked it at 350 watt@ 4ohm but could not use it with any other cab like outside or big venues since all my heads are 4ohm minimum. ....so i got some celestions and made it into an 8ohm 400watt cab.. so I can add it on top of my 15....maybe its the new speakers but the2x 10 alone is hitting like a beast now and feels like I can push it more if i want. I love breaking in speakers!
  5. Register to disable this ad