1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass cabs

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by The Stingray, Feb 20, 2014.

1. The Stingray

The Stingray

Hi there, hope you guys are well. I just wanted to ask the pro's & con's of having 4ohm as opposed to 8ohm cabs ? Cheers
  2. sinbad7

sinbad7

I run a 4 ohm cab and love it, but I have an 8x10, so odds are, I won't be adding a second cab. The downside to having a 4 ohm is that if you add a second 4 ohm, you are now running at 2 ohm and a lot of amps won't handle that. With and 8 ohm, if you add a second 8 ohm, then you are at a wonderful 4 ohms. If you ever want to add a second cab, I would just go with an 8 ohm cab. If you are looking at going big right away or don't plan on getting another cab, go with the 4 ohm
  3. nashman

nashman

I chose 2 x 4 ohm cabs - only because my amp is 2 ohm stable. If your amp can only handle a max 4 ohm load, go with 8 ohm cabs. The volume difference with one cab 8 ohm vs 4 ohm will be negligible - with the benefit of future expansion capability.
  4. dropbass

dropbass

I have 2x10 i use vertically for most small gigs... I liked it at 350 watt@ 4ohm but could not use it with any other cab like outside or big venues since all my heads are 4ohm minimum. ....so i got some celestions and made it into an 8ohm 400watt cab.. so I can add it on top of my 15....maybe its the new speakers but the2x 10 alone is hitting like a beast now and feels like I can push it more if i want. I love breaking in speakers!