1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bass camp at Berklee

Discussion in 'Ask the Berklee Bass Department' started by JonahP1, Feb 3, 2014.

1. JonahP1

JonahP1

I figured this would be a good place to pose this question. This summer I was considering going to the Bass camp with Victor Wooten at Berklee. I was curious if anyone in talkbass has gone to this and what they thought? And I was also curious about what people in the Berklee Bass department have to say about it. Thanks!
    -Jonah

2. Steve Bailey

Steve Bailey Supporting Member

hey Jonah… having been involved with Vic in many, many camps over the last 20 years, I can say that the fusion of Berklee and Wooten is an amazing experience. Different than anything that we have ever done together. Most all of our camps have been in Tennessee or in South Carolina, in the woods or at the beach. Doing it at a place like Berklee, with Berklee Faculty, adds a whole new dimension. But….. I am biased. Steve

3. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Steve has more weight to his opinion, but I'll echo it - the Steve/Vic combination is phenomenal, the Vic/Camp experience is phenomenal, and I can only imagine that the Vic/Steve/Camp/Berkeley experience will be pretty off-the-charts.

4. GastonD

GastonD

Hm, was it filmed? Ever gonna be published as such?
    I mean, for some of us not attending such events is not merely the matter of willingness but rather a geographical "challenge" :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. HypersoulRocks

HypersoulRocks Supporting Member

I'll be there...look for the Ken Smith Black Tiger bass...

7. moldyboy

moldyboy

I am going as we'll. you can look for the David Minnieweather 6 string fretless bass

8. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

I'll be there too. Look for the Sears and Roebuck Banister3000.

9. HypersoulRocks

If you guys are here, see you at 9am for the orientation.

10. TinyE

TinyE Supporting Member

What kind of skills would be a prerequisite for a camp like this?

11. HypersoulRocks

12. Steve Bailey

Steve Bailey Supporting Member

A baisc understanding of the instrument at a minimum, but we have players from 13 to 72, some pro's some weekend warriors, mostly HS students.. A great mix

13. HypersoulRocks

I can say that just the parts where Steve and Vic talked to us about music in general, or our specific playing was really enlightening...and left me with tons to consider as I grow as a bassist.

Steve...you are so down to earth and kind, I'm envious of the full time students at Berklee.

...now to practice those fingering exercises Vic gave us...