1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

bass chord chart

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by CRONOS, Nov 18, 2008.

1. CRONOS

CRONOS

Can anyone get me a bass chord chart I can't find one and I want to start learning my chords.:help:

2. EADG mx

EADG mx

Best bass chord chart:

learn notes on neck
    learn how chords are constructed
    use ear/brain

3. giglawyer

giglawyer Supporting Member

4. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

www.walrusproductions.com Bass Chords (item number) #8114 titled:
    "BASS GUITAR CHORD NOTES"

Good lil chart lists 57 chords, showing them all individually on a 4-string neck portion, and is very handy for settling arguments about what notes you can noodle on in any chord.
    For anyone who is not an instant wizard on that, of course.
    Some may find it handy, some may not.
    Can find'em sometimes in GC or other local music stores. Good luck.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CRONOS

CRONOS

Thanks that helped.:D

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

This is probably the best (though by no means the easiest) answer!

8. tomvelsor

tomvelsor

i KNOW it doesent sound like fun, but this is how it goes.

that way youll be UNDERSTANDING any chord.."oh im playing a flat six, cool" instead of "that chord"

its the best possible way to do it

9. EADG mx

EADG mx

Teaching a man to fish.

10. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

Learning bass chords will keep you in a boat drinking beer? ;)

11. EADG mx

EADG mx

Not yet.. maybe I need to practice more?

12. Clinks

Clinks

I bought one of these from a local music store and have no idea how to read what order the notes go in. Can some please post a link on how a rookie like me could break this down?

13. Ian the bassist

Ian the bassist

Albums:
    What I did was learn the basic scales. Minor, Major, Blues, Pentatonic(Maj+ Min). There was also other variations of the minor and major scales that I went into that just changed one note in the scale(Like having a sharp 6th or flat 4 etc).

The most common chords are based off the root, 3rd, 5th and 7th of the scales. I just played around with the scales adding in 4th's and 6ths and going up to the next octave. You can go as far as you want with theory(and beyond).

I like to keep it rather simple in theory. Sometimes you can get lost if your chords become too weird and complex(like some jazz out there :p)

If you know your basic scales. I'd recommend just messing around going root, 3rd, 5th and becoming familiar with the changes. If you don't. They're very easy to find. I looked at those chord sheets that were posted on this thread. And they get a bit confusing.

I've developed my technique so much over the years, I'd like to be able to read notes fast now(know them, but god help me trying to read it fast), and work more on my theory to a more advanced level(unrelated to the thread, just thought I'd throw it out there haha)

14. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

[​IMG]

If this is what you are talking about - that is what rhythm guitarist use, we do not use this. Why? Well, we do not strum we play the chord notes one note at a time and the way most of us do that is knowing the chord spelling for the basic chords and then use the major scale box to find the notes we need.

Code:
    Major Scale Box. 

G|---2---|-------|---3---|---4---| 1st string
    D|---6---|-------|---7---|---8---|
    A|---3---|---4---|-------|---5---|
    E|-------|---R---|-------|---2---|4th string
    Chord Spelling for the Basic Chords:
    • Major Triad = R-3-5
    • Minor Triad = R-b3-5
    • Diminished Chord = R-b3-b5

Chord Spelling for the 7th Chords:
    • Maj7 = R-3-5-7
    • Minor 7 = R-b3-5-b7
    • Dominant 7 = R-3-5-b7
    • ½ diminished = R-b3-b5-b7
    • Full diminished = R-b3-b5-bb7

Learn those formulas (chord spelling) - if you want to play a C major chord. Use the box and place the R (Root note) on the 4th string 8th fret (a C note) and then play the R-3-5 intervals of the box - in time with the beat of the song. You just played the notes of the C major chord and let the rest of the band hear the beat (rhythm). Want to play the notes of the G major chord; place the R at the 4th string 3rd fret (a G) and play the R-3-5. Want to play the Gm chord play the R-b3-5 intervals of the box - that will be the notes of the Gm chord.

See a Cmaj7 chord; place your R on the 4th string 8th fret and play the R-3-5-7 intervals of the box. Want to play an Emaj7 chord; place the R over an E note on your fretboard and play the R-3-5-7 since you started on the E you end up with the notes of the Emaj7 chord.

Spend some time here http://www.studybass.com/lessons/common-bass-patterns/roots-and-fifths/ and then ask specific questions. I suggest you get the chord spelling and how to move the major scale box around your fretboard into muscle memory. Should keep you busy for a month or so. To keep from going crazy pull up some fake chord on your favorite song and see if you can play the chord notes in time with the song before the song goes off and leaves you.

Here is Happy Birthday see what you can do with using just roots:

Code:
    C                   G       		
    Hap-py birth-day to you
                      C
    Hap-py birth-day to you
                     G          F
    Hap-py birth-day to dear name
    F     C          G    C
    Hap-py birth-day to you
    Sing the song under your breath to get the beat going. Hap-py gets 2 C's as does Birth-day then "to" gets one C. At "you" change to the G root. The next "Happy" gets 2 G's and keep going...... One note per lyric word. Happy and birthday being two syllable words get two notes. Start with just roots then when that is easy add some of the other chord tones as you have room.

Question; The chords used in Happy Birthday are the I IV & V or C, F & G. Where are they on your fretboard? Look for a C, the tonic, on the 3rd string - how about 3 string 3rd fret. Where is the F and G? Yep, isn't that great, right above and below the C. This is going to be fun. Say the next song is using the key of D. The I IV V chords will be D, G & A. Find a D on the 3rd string..... where is the G & A? For that matter, where is the 5th of the D? Up a string and over two frets. Where is the 5th of the G? Up a string and over two frets. Where is the 5th of the A? Yep, up a string and over two frets.
    [​IMG]

Good luck.

Pudge Fish likes this.
  15. camardelle

camardelle Supporting Member

Old thread I know, but...

What do the b3/b5/b7 and bb7 notations mean. Try to use small words as I am such a rookie at this stuff. :)

16. angryclown5

angryclown5

I can never tell when someone is talking about bass chords whether they mean chord construction and/or arpeggios - or if they mean actual chords, three or more notes played at once. If you are looking for a chart of actual chord forms and fingerings, this is a good one:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=276193&d=1341437332

I've reposted this before - credit again to FretlessMainly for the chart.

17. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

b3/b5/b7 are the flatted 3, 5 and 7 scale degrees of the scale. That bb7 is in effect the 7th scale degree flatted two half steps or you move the 7 back to a b7 (flat 7) then take it one more 1/2 step to a 6 degree of the scale. It's written as bb7 and not a 6, because the old guys decided to do it that way a long time ago. I know, sorry.

C Scale = C, D, E, F, G, A, B the scale degrees are:
    :.............R, 2, 3, 4, 5,. 6, 7 if you want to indicate the Cm scale in scale degrees you have to flat the 3, 6 & 7 of the major scale and come up with .......R, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7 for C, D, Eb, F, G, Ab, Bb, the notes in the Cm scale.

It's a way to talk/write scale degree "stuff". This may help: http://www.guitar-chords.org.uk/chords-key-c-minor.html