Bass chorus/compressor tweaking suggestions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by guitardefector, Mar 27, 2014.

1. guitardefector

guitardefector

Hi guys,
    I just added a Boss CEB bass chorus to my MarkBass compressore and am finally starting to get the sound I've been after for several years. Being that the Boss and Markbass manuals are so brief and offer hardly any info on tweaking the sound, voila...I thought who better to ask than the bass community here.

So here it goes, fellas. Can anyone out there who has this similar setup offer me suggestions, i.e. 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock, etc... on both pedals and amp? I use foam under the bridge because I love that old school Jamerson sound and lots of 70s stuff, so that's the sound I'm usually aiming for. I have an Acoustic B200 amp, btw.

All suggestions welcome. Thank you.:)

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The settings of the compressor depend entirely on the signal you feed it, your instrument, playing style, etc. There is no way to use anybody else's settings and have it make sense, except by sheer luck. Check out the faq linked in my sig for more details.

The settings of the chorus are strictly up to personal taste. There are no wrong or right settings, you just pick what sounds good to you.

You can run either pedal in front of the other, it doesn't matter; though if the chorus is hissy, the compressor will amplify that hiss.

3. guitardefector

guitardefector

Thanks for the reply and the link, Bongo. You're right, it's definitely different for all rigs. ;) I'll keep on experimenting.

4. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

One good trick for the Compressore (that I probably read on Bongo's site or in one of his posts) is to keep the threshold knob at min and use the gain knob to set how much of your signal is compressed - it should run quieter and will color your tone less (assuming that's something you want).

5. Register to disable this ad