bass cleaning

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by prbrianpr, Feb 6, 2013.

1. prbrianpr

prbrianpr

I have 2 basses my old bass I used car polish and car wax to have it shiny. My new bass have like a clearcoat so I dont need to put it more shiny, it shines a lot. So I was thinking of some cleaning for guitar and a some mild polish for guitar but I dont found something nice yet. What you people reccomends me? or auto wax is fine for th new bass?
  2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

3. deeptubes

deeptubes

I have used Virtuoso premium polish for a while now. I bought a 4 oz bottle 5 years ago and still have almost 1/4 of the bottle left. Removes dirt, grime and buffs to a very nice shine. It also removes superficial pick marks. I also have the 3 step Planet Waves kit that I have yet to open. Don't know about the multiple steps. Seems time consuming to do 8 instruments. Perhaps I'll give it a go this spring.
  4. svt1233

svt1233

carnauba wax works very well. It will work on all finishes including nitro
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

i use the gibson polish in the orange spray bottle on the glossy stuff and the ghs fret ease on the rosewood fretboard
  7. prbrianpr

prbrianpr

I have zymol for leather care and is a great product, nice brand, I will check that. I have carnauba wax, I dont like the white/yellow marks they leave on some spots difficult to clean. Virtuoso leaves white resuide too?
  8. deeptubes

deeptubes

Virtuoso is kind of like car polish - wipe it on, rub it in, let it dry, wipe it off.
  9. prbrianpr

prbrianpr

Zymol doesnt accept paypal??? I tried to buy from their webpage but dont see paypal option :/
  10. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I'm trying to remember how I paid? let me check it out
  11. LBassPlayer

LBassPlayer

idk but car polish ****ed up my fretboard lol good thing it was a mexican fender jazz bass and not american
  12. SirMjac28

No I don't see a PayPal option but if you go here http://zymolmusic.com/ and use the product advisor on the bottom they email you a coupon for $5.00 off they had a promotion where they send you two bottles of wax they sent me a free one because I purchased a kit right before the promotion. I notice the shine lasts longer than my usual stuff.
  13. SirMjac28

I agree but they make this just for instruments.
  14. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Zymol is available at most auto parts stores.

I would never use car polish on any instrument. They contain abrasives which remove dirt but also wear through clear coat and paint if not applied properly. I know someone who used carnuba wax on his vintage Gibson Les Paul. After a couple of years the finish was wearing off even though he didn't play it much. He brought it to a luthier and the fist question he was asked was what he used to clean the guitar. I use Gibson guitar polish on the body and pure lemon oil on rosewood and ebony fretboards.
  15. bassyogi

bassyogi

I just picked up the Gerlitz cleaning kit on amazon.com. I haven't tried the polish or the fretboard oil, but I felt the carnauba wax worked pretty well.
  16. Bur

Bur

Dudes, what do you use to clean rosewood fretboard? And what laquer I may use to treat a sanded maple fretboard?
  17. prbrianpr

prbrianpr

I dont have credit card, only paypal :meh: but they seems like nice products. I have the for leather one and its great on my jackets and belts.
  18. prbrianpr

prbrianpr

I clean my fretboard with dry clean microfiber cloth , then I use mineral oil for the shine.
  19. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex Supporting Member

+1 on the carnauba wax.

On the new, thick shiny polyester type finishes, I find that Martin Guitar Polish works just fine - those thick finished don't need a bit of wax.
  20. JACink

JACink

You can clean a bass??? :eek:

:bag:
  21. Kopfjaeger

Kopfjaeger Guest

+2 on Zymol. That stuff works great and makes your bass smell like a pina colada, if you're into that sort of thing. I got mine from Auto Zone, and auto parts place with like million locations.

If the fretboard is not coated (bare wood) never wax it!! Ebony and or untreated wood needs to be oiled with the proper oil for the specific wood.

Sepp