1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

bass clef hats group buy, anyone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by neurotictim, Oct 19, 2010.

1. neurotictim

neurotictim

EDIT: Here are the ordering instructions for all of you coming late to the party. There's still plenty of time to order your hats!

First, pics of the actual product:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the size-conscious buyer, here's a pic of the back velcro closure. This hat has been adjusted to fit my own rather large dome - 7-3/4 - and you can see there's still PLENTY of velcro to go. I think you 8-1/2 guys will be fine.

[​IMG]

Now, the info/ordering instructions:

Hats are $20US each, if they're being shipped anywhere in the US.

If they're being shipped internationally, hats are $28US (With a big thanks to MJ5150 for his generosity) each for the first hat, and $15US each for up to two additional hats.

Determine how many hats you want, and what colors you want, following the instructions in the thread. You have 6 different hat colors available to you, as detailed in post #87.

Once you have determined your hat(s) color, then decide what color thread you would like to use for the design embroidery.

Sports Connection has dozens of colors, so feel free to be somewhat picky - but let's try to keep it to the basics. Any of the primary or secondary colors (i.e. blue, red, yellow, green, orange, purple) with the descriptors "light" or "dark" is about as complicated as I want to get. If you say "light red" I'm going to assume you mean pink, by the way. Black, white, brown, and khaki (tan) are also acceptable. If you have a specific color you just DESPERATELY have to have, PM me and I'll work with you.

Important note: Only one color thread per hat. Multi-color embroidery drives prices up, so I decided that one color would be enough.
    Now, you've decided:
    1) How many hats you want
    2) The total for your order (using the prices above)
    3) Color schemes for each hat

Log into PayPal and send that amount (i.e. $20, $40, $60US) to neurotictim@hotmail.com. This payment is for GOODS, not gift or service.

In the "Email to recipient" SUBJECT line, please put your TB username.

In the MESSAGE block, please use this format to specify your hat preferences:

Hat color/thread color

For example - my order will look like this:

Black/white
    Camo/black

Repeat this as many times as is necessary, and use a new line for each hat. Please do NOT:

Black/khaki/blue/pink = because I won't understand what you want.

If you DO NOT SPECIFY what color scheme you want, I will assume you want a black hat with white embroidery.

Please ensure that your PayPal address is the address where you want the hat(s) to be shipped. If it is not, please send me a PM via TB with the correct address.

I will stop taking payments at 2pm EST on Friday the 5th. The order will be placed shortly after that time, and I expect delivery with about a week or so. The hats SHOULD be mailed out by November 14th or 15th, and you should all have them within 6-10 business days at the latest.

I think I've covered everything, if I've missed anything feel free to PM me.

EDIT: Forgot - if you're paying via money order, please PM me for an address. I don't want to just put it out here.

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT 2:
    I am opening up the orders to include baseball-style hats, in the style and colors seen here: District Threads DT610

The prices and options will be the same, and everyone who has ordered and paid already will be able to change their order as desired. I do this because there have been several requests for blue, and a couple for ball-cap style hats. Those of you who have already made an order, please PM me with your updated selection - if I don't hear from you, via PM, I'll assume your order stands.

Before you do that, though, you should know - since there isn't time at this point to have one made as a proof, you will be taking your chances on a few things -

I cannot speak for whether these hats are velcro in the back - the site says "Metal D-ring slider w/strap" but that's what it says about the army-style hats, which are velcro closures. You may get either one - Sports Connection doesn't even know until they get them - they don't keep them in stock.

I also cannot speak for whether these will fit the big-domed folks in the crowd.

Finally, I'm extending the deadline for payment (for the group buy price) out to Friday, the 12th of November. I've had a number of people PM me asking if I could, to accomodate their pay schedules. This is as far as I'm willing to go:

The people who pay by 2pm on Friday the 5th will be in "group one" and their order will be placed this Friday afternoon - that schedule remains the same.

For the stragglers ("group two"), I will place their order on Friday the 12th - which is when I expect the first order to be ready for pickup. If you have not paid by Friday, the 12th of November, you will NOT be getting a hat. No if's, ands, or buts about it.

There will NOT be a "group three" order.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, the originial post in all it's glory:

So I have a thing for hats. I rotate out my nice hats from show to show, but I also like to wear them in the "real world."

My favorite style is the cadet or "army-style" hat (see below), and I thought I'd look into having one embroidered with some sort of bass-inspired design.

[​IMG]

Took my decent Photoshop skills and set about to making a cool design, and this is what I came up with:

[​IMG]

I looked online, and it seems the best deal (with the best reviews) is from a place called CrazyCustomCaps. Some places were cheaper, but from what I could tell, this is the highest-rated site.

There's a $35 initial setup fee, and then each hat is around $30 counting shipping.

If I buy 20 or more, the price of the hats goes down to roughly $15, and I could defray the cost of the setup. The hats would be black, one-size-fits-most with metal side eyelets and plastic adjustable strap on the back. The logo would be white thread.

So, I guess I'm asking, does anyone want in on this?

I was thinking I'd see what kind of response I got, then maybe we could go from there. If we get at least 20 orders, then instead of paying $58 or more each (for one hat + setup), we could get these for $15 (+ shipping) each, shipped to your door. The actual cost of the hat to each person would be approximately $15 - I'm not trying to make any money on this deal, but I don't want to pay out of pocket for packaging and shipping for each hat, so it would need to be included in payment - say $3 each?

I just went through their calculator, and we could get 50 hats at roughly $12 each (+ shipping) or (God forbid) 100 hats at roughly $10 each ( + shipping)

The best idea I had was that everyone could PayPal me, then I could pay for the hats, and then when I receive them, ship them out to each person. If anyone has a better idea than that, please let me know.

So what do you say, TalkBass? Prices depend on how many people actually commit and make payment via Paypal.

20 orders = $18 each
    50 orders = $15 each
    100 orders = $13 each

Does anyone else want in on this, or am I buying a $58 hat?

Thanks!

For orders under 100 units, their turnaround is 4-10 business days, plus shipping time. Oh, and I'll leave this open for a week or two to see before I order, so there's no rush.
  2. hover

hover

do they come in a size 8.25?
  3. neurotictim

neurotictim

Just emailed them about sizes - I too have a large dome piece and would like to know - glad you thought of it.
  4. hover

hover

nice! i'd rawk one.
  5. vbsurfer3001

vbsurfer3001

6. bassbrad

bassbrad

Count me in too, I like the design. Just black or camo & other colors? If there is a color/design choice i might get more.
  7. neurotictim

neurotictim

Thanks for hopping on this, John - save me the shipping, I'll bring it over with a six-pack at some point soon. :bassist:

bassbrad - for the group discount to apply, as far as I know, it's got to be the same color and style, but I've emailed them a few questions already - I'll add that to the list.

Once the design is uploaded and the setup is paid for, anyone should be able to use the design for any style hat they like.

We've got 3 confirmed now - hover, is that an "I'm in if they're big enough"?
  8. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

9. superfunk47

superfunk47

If it's under 20 bucks, I'm in.
  10. vbsurfer3001

vbsurfer3001

No worries, you've been threatening a drop in for 2 or 3 years now...but now I owe you money:D No higher motivation for a bass player!
  11. Waterpilot

Waterpilot

If we can get it down to $15 or less I'd be in for 2. Otherwise I'd be in one. I might need a PM of this comes to fruition though as I tend to forget to watch these things...
  12. hover

hover

No, that's the line I used to use on tha Ladies...

hahaha, yeah, I would be in on an order. IF they in fact are big enough. I am cranially endowed.
  13. neurotictim

neurotictim

I'll keep a list going of people who are "in" and I'll be sure to send out a group PM.

Let's set the tentative date for collection of funds for Thursday, Nov 4th - I'll place the order on the 5th. I'll send out a group PM Monday the 1st asking everyone to pay up. By then, I should have a good idea of the number of orders, and I'll be able to tell how much they'll be each.

As long as we get 20 orders (not necessarily 20 people) "in", they're guaranteed to be $18 or less each.

So far -
    neurotictim
    VBsurfer3001
    bassbrad
    AXTman
    superfunk47
    Waterpilot
    hover

That's 7 already!

:bassist:
  14. Waterpilot

Waterpilot

Sounds good to me!
  15. superfunk47

superfunk47

My roommate is in for one as well! (He plays tuba. :smug:)
  16. ez-rhino

ez-rhino

Disclosures:
    Bass and Drum Mercenary
    In.

Please mark me down for one.

Thanks!
  17. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

I'm on board
  18. Mazatleco17

Mazatleco17

I might be in.
  19. Bongolation

Bongolation

Pass. I still have my hair.
  20. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

What would the score be with someone outside the US getting one? Looking at the FAQ they themselves don't charge extra for postage outwith the USA, but I'm assuming if you buy in bulk, they'd all be sent to you for you to post out?