1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bass Collection 5-string new PJ pickups system?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tailgate, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Tailgate

Tailgate

I have an original 5-string Bass Collection 505 by SGC Nanyo I bought new back in 1992, that came with PJ pickups. The original pickups were pretty nice, except they eventually got very noisy, so I replaced them with active EMGs about 12 years ago. Long story short, the EMGs...while active PUs...are simply a separate volume and tone for whichever PU you are using. They just sound dull, not sparkly like the original PU system (and certainly much less so than my B-Quad basses), and are very deficient in "control" over the sound.

Therefore, I have not been playing this bass hardly at all, because I am so disappointed in the sound. But the bass itself is awesome, very fast action for a 5 string, and I miss playing it.

So...is there something I can do to make this sound better? Do I need a whole new set of pickups...or is there a way to modify the existing PU's? I've seen the EMG BTS / BTC / BTQ...but I'm a newbie when it comes to pickups and what a BTS or whatever can do for me. I generally just play what's in the bass already. Please explain your answers like you're talking to a 5-year-old (just kidding).

Any suggestions on how to get a much better sound? I don't expect it to be like my 18 volt B-Quad basses, but if I can get somewhere in the ballpark of having good control over the sound, I'd be a lot happier.

2. Tailgate

Tailgate

As Pink Floyd said..."Hellooooooooooooooooooooo...is there anybody out there? Helloooooooooooo..........."

3. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

4. Tailgate

Tailgate

OK...well, I suppose that's a vote for their pickups. However, they do not make five-string PJ sets according to their website.

After doing a little reading, should I looking into something like a Sadowsky or similar DI box?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Myrkur

Myrkur

7. Oblique

Oblique

Hi, I have a pair of Bass Collection basses, fretted and fretless, could never get a straight answer on the model number but they're ash bodies and ebony boards. Really nice basses.
    Anyways, my guess is You're using the EMG's with the stock BC electronics. They are low impedance pups - active - and need a much lower vol pot value - 25k - than the stock BC pot.
    You can download schematics at EMG and compare with Your setup.
    I'm not an EMG guy but I can assure You if properly installed they'll be anything but dull. Check Your pup height after You fix the electronics situation.
    Hope You get it sorted, these are really underrated Basses.

8. Tailgate

Tailgate

The only reason I know the model number is because I still have the little handwritten hang-tag that was on it when I bought it! Yes, I believe mine is an Ash body, and most likely an Ebony fingerboard as it is VERY dark and black, similar to my Carvin electric guitar with an Ebony board. But I never really thought about it until you said it. Ha...20 years and just learned something new about that bass.

Yes, they are VERY underrated. The original SGC Nanyo versions (92-94?) I would compare to a Tobias of the same time period. I love it, and have never regretted buying it. That's why I want to sort out my pickup issue.

9. doomars

doomars

All MIJ SGC Nanyo upper series (4,5,6) have ebony fretboards and three piece maple necks.

Happy Holydays to all