Bass Comparison - Lettsanity

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Dec 7, 2012.

1. GrooveWarrior

GrooveWarrior

So I decided to see how my 4 basses sounded when playing the same song. I recorded myself playing for about a minute to Lettsanity by Lettuce. (If you don't know them, shame on you.) I just thought I would put it up here because people are always wanting to know how different basses sound. I know my playing isn't perfect, but it's a fun tune to jam with.

Some Notes:
    I bring the volume of the backing track down about 3db and gradually back up during each track to allow you to hear each bass a little better. I should confess that I am most comfortable on the Warrior, and least comfortable on the P with flats (flats are a new thing for me).

The Players (Click to see pictures):
    Warrior Signature 4 - Ash Wings, Mahogany/Purpleheart Neck, Birdseye Maple Fretboard

Peavey Cirrus 4 USA - Walnut Top, Walnut Wings, Walnut/Maple Neck, Rosewood Board

Fender American Standard Jazz 2001 - Ash Body, Maple Board

Fender Mexican P Bass - Alder (?) Body, Rosewood Board, New D'Addario Chromes Flatwound Strings

Ashdown Klystron Bass Magnifier 200 (Serial #13) - DI Out

Lexicon Alpha Interface

MacBook Pro - Garage Band. Nothing added.

Warrior

Cirrus

Jazz

P-Bass

Feel free to share which one you think sounds better for this tune. My band will likely add this to our setlist, so it would be good to know which bass you think works best for this tune.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  2. Gab124

Gab124 The path is greater than the destination Supporting Member

I choose the Jazz but would think a little different EQ would make it even better. I little thicker I think. All sound good though.
  3. GrooveWarrior

GrooveWarrior

I just noticed that the treble on my Ashdown is turned up for some reason. I hadn't noticed that. I would have turned it down. Oh well.
  4. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

I think all these bass' can do the job.
    But IMO I like the P with flats and the J. The J needs a little EQ ing,
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    The Jazz followed by the Warrior. The peavey is the least audible.

Listening on my iPad mini FWIW.
  7. GrooveWarrior

GrooveWarrior

Yeah, the treble was way to high on the head, and I have it set for a scoop sound. I might re-record these through my GK MB200, which I have set to be more mid-bump on the EQ.
  8. GrooveWarrior

GrooveWarrior

You should check it with some headphones. I know you can't tell in the picture, but the Warrior is the MM/J pickup config, with the J in the bridge. Great tone. The two active basses (Warrior, Cirrus) were both set flat.
  9. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

I prefer the Warrior myself, in second position the P-Bass, in third the Cirrus and in last position the Jazz as I feel the strings were too new and did not sound as tight as the others like if they were too thin.

Nice playin by the way... :bassist:
  10. Rabidrasbora

Rabidrasbora Supporting Member

Liked the Jazz #1, P, Warrior, Cirrus...
  11. GrooveWarrior

GrooveWarrior

OK. I re-recorded them using my GK MB200. The Ashdown is new to me, and I hadn't used it yet. Clearly I need to tweak it a bit. These sound a bit rushed (tempo) to me. I don't know if there was some latency going on, or if my timing was just worse.

GK - Warrior

GK - Cirrus

GK - Jazz

GK - P Flats
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  12. ugly_bassplayer

Yep, I still think all these bass' can do the job fine. It's just a matter of taste.
    For me, it's still the J and the P. Just try them all out live with the band and find the one you and the band like the best. For funk, I used a passive J with old dead flats for a long time.....:)
  13. ugly_bassplayer

I need to trancribe the entire Lettuce record, that thing is smoking.
  14. GrooveWarrior

GrooveWarrior

It's been a long time since I have felt compelled to sit down and figure out someone else's song. As soon as I heard this tune, I knew what I was going to do.

These guys are great. Eric Coomes is an absolute monster on bass too.
  15. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

I like the Jazz & Cirrus... The others sounded cloudy / lacked clarity.
  16. GrooveWarrior

GrooveWarrior

Those two have new strings. The string on the Warrior are old, and the P has flats. That could account for some of what you are hearing.
  17. GrooveWarrior

GrooveWarrior

Thanks. Doing this kind of thing makes me realize I'm way too rusty, but it's good to get in there and knock some rust off.
  18. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Ah, gotcha. I still like'em :)
  19. rimbaud

rimbaud

Did you scoop the EQ again on the GK ?? cos' that's really not the way to play this kind of music IMHO....

If you want to know wich bass is better for your use, set everything flat and try different pickup configuration (specially the Cirrus and the J, don't know what is the Jackson...), just play with bass EQ (if active) or tone (if passive) but be as neutral as possible with your amp.
  20. GrooveWarrior

GrooveWarrior

Definitely not scooped. Actually, it is bumped in the mids. Not sure what Jackson you are talking about.

I was really just showing how different basses sound when played with the same tune. I'm rather happy with my tone, and have been for some time.
  21. rimbaud

rimbaud

Oh damn sorry ! yeah I was talking about the Warrior of course... my bad

It is bumped in the mids ?? of course you can cut the mix with most of the basses like this, mids add definition, but really, set all flat if you want to know what bass will REALLY cut the mix... just a very personal opinion, nothing... personal lol (sorry so french...)