Bass Crazy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drummer5359, Oct 23, 2012.

1. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Up until six months ago the most that I had spent on a bass was $235 for an older Peavey Dyna.

That was then...

This is my current lineup.

[​IMG]

1972 Fender Telecaster bass, 2010 Fender American Standard Jazz bass and a 2011 Fender 60th Anniversary Precision bass.

I also have a Schecter C-4 XXX and a Peavey Fury but I keep them other places for practice.

I'm all out of GAS.

(For now.)
  2. TinIndian

TinIndian

Nice Fender Trio!
  3. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Nice, but sorry.... It likely won't stop here.
  4. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Nice!! Very similar to my own herd.
  5. Immigrant

Immigrant

Those are beautiful, especially the Jazz! Great color. As for GAS, it's like cancer. It's only in remission and will likely return, probably when it dawns on you that your basses are all missing a string.:D
  6. Modern Growl

Modern Growl

Thats what Talk Bass will do to ya!
  7. chef wong

chef wong

That's a well rounded meal.
  8. awilkie84

awilkie84

All you're missing now is a '52 single coil P!
  9. drummer5359

I finished out the year adding a Music Man to the fleet. I guess that my G.A.S. was just in remission...

[​IMG]
  10. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

At the risk of reactivating your GAS, ever considered a Rosewood fretboard? Tone difference is a lot more than I first thought...you get the low-mid fullness a lot more with a rosewood, IMO...I can get some very old-school tones out of my Freeway 4 with a rosewood board.

11. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Dude...all I can say is, I feel your pain. "I kinda think Music Man basses are neat" has suddenly been elevated to "I need a Music Man bass or I will never be complete as a person" status in my head. I love my Cirrus but I'm starting to want a wider variety...also looking to get a fretless.

Hey, it happens! Welcome to the dark side! ;)
  12. drummer5359

I do have a MIJ Precision with a rosewood fingerboard as well. It lives upstairs in our guestroom, I play it when I dont want to go all the way down to the main music room in the bass-ment.

[​IMG]

I do feel that rosewood gives a different vibe, but usually when I'm buying a bass I am seduced by the feel of the maple board.
  13. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

HA! Bass-ment. I love it. My wife has succumbed to the notion that our entire house is pretty much a music room. Bass and ukulele hanging at the entryway, piano in the living room, office is pretty much the composing room now...

I've only recently discovered the difference. Still torn on whether or not I want a maple or rosewood on my next bass. (I only own one...I have a monogamous relationship with Lilah, but I'm thinking about having an affair with a 5-string and converting her to fretless.)
  14. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem. Gold Supporting Member

You're catching up to me drummer but not quite there yet. I picked out my next two while in Chicago last week. ;)
  15. drummer5359

Of course you did.
  16. TinIndian

TinIndian

When I joined this site I owned 2 basses, a 1986 Peavey Foundation S I bought new and an Ibanez SRT805DX. I now own the Peavey, an 84 Ibanez RB850, an 87 Spector NS2A, a 96 Warwick Fortress Masterman, an 03 Spector Euro4, an 07 Lakland 55-02, a parts P bass I'm just about finished putting together and a late 60's Japanese hollowbody shortscale made by somebody called Firstman.

This can be an expensive website.
  17. bassplayer1960

bassplayer1960

now also start looking beyond Fender. it is the bass player way!
  18. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

I don't think I planned it this way, but all of my Precisions have maple boards; and all of my Jazzes (except 1) have rosewood. I don't have a recent family pic, but I guess I can do "separates".

'80s MIJ E-Series P
    [​IMG]

'06 MIM Classic '50s P
    [​IMG]

'75 P
    [​IMG]

2000 AV '75 Reissue Jazz (the only Jazz with a maple board)
    [​IMG]

'11 American Standard Jazz
    [​IMG]

'08 American Standard Jazz
    [​IMG]

'12 FSR American Standard Jazz
    [​IMG]

GAS is temporarily in remission...
  19. drummer5359

Jeff, NICE GROUP!
  20. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Thanks Mike. We probably have similar tastes because I grew up not far from Pittsburgh (Johnstown). ;) We Western Pennsylvanians appreciate blue-collar, workhorse types of basses; and generally stay pretty loyal to them once we find something we like! :D