1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bass cuts out when I have to play 16th notes?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by KissThaRing, Jan 27, 2014.

1. KissThaRing

KissThaRing

So yesterday I did my first full 1hr 20 min set, and had alot of fun playing with my guitar friend. It's just us two with a dedicated bass amp that runs drum loops from his Ipod (since we dont know any drummers)

Anyways, I ran into some problems during a few of my songs where i play 16th notes, my sound kept cutting out at those parts. What causes that? I run active pickups (ibby sr300)and an acoustic b20 bass amp (i know,weak, but it gets the job done) and a zoom b3 pedal with some custom settings to get the tone I like. Is it a power issue? Cable issue? I run monster cables. Battery issue? Pedal being flakey? I have no idea but I would like to iron it out if possible for my next gig at the same spot. I also notice just in general at some points my bass would just cut out or go low, almost like it was gonna die, then it would get loud again. I dont run any DI, everything comes out my amp. Any input would be great.

2. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Try turning the gain down on the amp preamp as well as the bass and the pedals- sounds like you are running way to hot a signal into an underpowered amp so that when the signal is strongest (ie 16th notes) the preamp may be defeating to keep from frying.

3. KissThaRing

KissThaRing

Ok, thanks. My bass has 2 pickups, with seperate gain knobs. I had both of those pretty high, and my amp volume knob was about 9 o clock position (or 3 level). I was under the impression its better to get all the volume you can get from your bass actives and keep the amp volume low. Am I doing it wrong? Should I lower the gain at the picups and bump amp volume? The amp has no gain knob, just volume with some EQ knobs.

4. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

What are you doing playing 16th notes on a bass anyway?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KissThaRing

KissThaRing

Haha, it's just a short burst before going into the change. I could just not do it, problem solved :D but its what I hear in my head and it sounds cool if it doesn't cut out.

7. pfox14

pfox14

The best way to know for sure is to take your bass to GC and play the same part through a big amp and see what happens.

8. BassCliff

BassCliff

Hi,

All kidding aside... ;)

Simplify your rig to isolate the problem. Start with plugging your bass straight into your amp. Then add in one pedal/effect at a time and see where the trouble shows up.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

9. Salamenster

Salamenster

Maybe you're playing the 16th notes too agressively and you're hitting the pole pieces of the pick-up. Used to happen to me too.

10. KissThaRing

KissThaRing

Thanks guys, I will do what you say. I'm extremely amature, i'm sure its more of my playstyle then anything. I get super excited and tend to play way to hard, so thats quite possible salamenster. I will troubleshoot and try to isolate the problem.

11. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

My first suspect would be the Zoom B3. It could be as simple as interaction between settings on the pedal's compression, synth, filters, or modulation FX.