Bass demos on Youtube...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KablesP, Jan 23, 2014.

1. KablesP

KablesP

Why are almost all of them only slap bass riffs with a super clean super modern scooped tone? Some of us use a pick or distortion and most of these demos do not cover those areas.

I'm not trying to say that ever bass demo has to have every style of bass tones and technique but come on! I think there are 3 or 4 videos on YT of the G&L L2000 that don't have slapping in them.

Is it just me or does this bother anyone else?

Another thing that bothers me is the straight to the soundcard demos. Most studios will mic an amp or have a nice DI mostly likely with a cab simulator. And its obviously going to sound a lot different in a live setting. Most of these tones are dull and boring even with a nice bass.

Sorry for the ranting...

2. KablesP

KablesP

Oh...and when people make a 4 minute video that is basically them reiterating the manual like none of us can google and read it for ourselves. We want to hear the bass!

3. Huge

Huge Hell is full of musical amateurs. Like me. Supporting Member

You're watching the wrong people then.

It doesn't bother me when people make a review in a manner that doesn't relate to me, as they are not beholden to my likes or dislikes. If it bugs me enough, I find a different reviewer.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Most youtube demos are rubbish. Demos of basses, guitars, cars, cameras, everything.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

OP:

Why don't you make one and start a trend?

7. pertyman

pertyman

Media:
  8. KablesP

KablesP

I would if I owned the basses I am looking at demos for. That's why I am watching these videos to get a general idea of how the bass sounds.

Obviously there are lots of great reviewers on YT who know what they are doing but its about 1:5 in terms of a good quality video to a poor one.

Pertyman....great demos! I watched the Persuader demo and you know how to do it right. Lots of different playing, tones, no talking and all of the info you need you post in words in the video so no one can misunderstand you. You get down to the point; the sound!

And man does that bass sound amazing! Very versatile. You are a great player :bassist:

9. TheMinutemen

TheMinutemen

Hey, thank god for those YT vids. Turns out the MM Sabre has 2 p/u's and active electronics. Who knew?:smug:

10. temmrich

temmrich Supporting Member

Why would you look for demos of basses you already own?

I think the idea was to start the trend with the basses you have based on the concept other people might be looking for sounds from one of them. Then the trend would spread to those that have basses you want to hear. Be a little proactive.

11. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

There are a lot of truly terrible bass demos on Youtube. You can either throw your hands up in despair or, as others have noted, do something to help raise the standard. I've attempted to make a few demos from time to time for basses that don't get much attention on Youtube (they're not anything spectacular, but do the job ok). Check out the link in my sig if you want to take a gander.

I'd love to see a lot more bass demos on Youtube. I can't imagine what it would have been like to have this kind of access to information about guitars when I was a kid and trying to figure out which one to buy.

12. KingRazor

KingRazor

I'm shocked at how many of them are recorded with cheap, crappy camera mics. If you can afford a $2000 bass you can afford a $100 audio interface to record into...

Just sayin'

13. bmason81

bmason81

I definitely dislike all the slapping, those people seem to just be jerking themselves off, also the five string demos where they never touch the low B.

14. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I give homemade YouTube bass demos about 10-15 seconds to capture my interest. Poor audio/visual quality and slapping are immediate turn-offs and will have me clicking on the next video.

I find the best demos are by music shops/dealers. At least they are motivated to sell their products and put some effort into the production and content.

15. ZenG

ZenG

Ever notice how many of these so-called "pro instructors" playing bass on Youtube can't go more than 10 seconds without making a mistake?