Bass DI for Duo setting

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lbbc, Feb 2, 2014.

1. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

I've been playing bass for 40 years....always in a rock band setting. I am part of a newly formed duo. My guitarist is running his Taylor Acoustic/Strat through his pedal board direct into the PA. I am playing an Alembic Persuader and/or Pushic Custom (both 4-string w/active pickups) through a Genz Benz Contour 15, but think it might be better to play direct. I've looked at passive DI's and the Aguilar Tone Hammer...any suggestions for this type of setting?

2. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

A duo as in like outdoor patios and small "coffee shop" type gigs? If so, I would stick with an amp and just go to something smaller like a 12" compact cab. Most small PAs won't have good reproduction of your bass, especially when in the mix with vocals and a guitar. If it's larger places with house systems, the Tone Hammer would be great if you like the Aguilar sound. If you went with a straight DI box, you might want to go with something like a Radial J48 [del]or Countryman[/del], as [according to an explanation from Radial their active box] might work with active pickups slightly better than a passive box would.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I agree with Jumblemind. Most acoustic act PA's are woefully inadequate for bass. Now if he carries a subwoofer along with the tops, then you might have something, but most acoustic acts just use tops, so whether or not you go PA or not depends a lot on the PA.

4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

^^^ Yep +3, to the two above comments.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    ...Except for this part. Active pickups work equally well with active or passive DI's; the only exception is with a very high-output bass, some active DI's may distort. So in that one exceptional case, an active bass would actually be better off with a passive DI.

7. Nomad5

Nomad5 Supporting Member

I do a lot of patio-style acoustic gigs, and have never been able to get adequate bass fidelity from small PA systems. Here is what works for me, and gets a lot of compliments:

I play a Godin A4 through a Markbass CMD121P combo and send a little via the DI to the board....but just a bit for fullness. I use K8's for mains BTW. Flats on the Godin.

Simply killer for small rooms & patios.

Cheers,

8. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

+1, this is true - however, I've never yet experienced any active bass being to hot for the Radial J48 - ever!!! I'm not saying it couldn't happen - but I've never experienced it.

9. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. We have a small 8 channel Mackie board and a pair of Carvin Powered 15's for tops (400 watts each)

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Those might actually work for bass. Carvin doesn't print freq response specs on their website, but while there might be a bit of lows lacking from them, there might not be, and even if they are, do you need deep lows for an acoustic act anyway?

So this is one of these situations where I'd say to try it out first with the DI from your Contour combo and see what you think.

11. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005
    any DI by radial, I bought a stagebug acoustic DI for my passive p bass which acts as an active DI. Great little thing :)