1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass DI - Sadowsky vs ToneHammer vs Sansamp vs Eden

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Longhornhombre, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Longhornhombre

Longhornhombre

Hey folks--
    I've played active basses for years and just got a new Lakland 55-60 passive J as my new backup (Lakland 55-02 is my go-to).

Looking for something that I can leave my active 55-02 plugged into with true bypass, but then engage for the passive 55-60.

Ideally I'd be giving the FOH guy the same volume between both basses, so the DI would need to have volume adjustment at a minimum--but would love just a bit more tone shaping for the passive Lakland to add more oomph.

I don't use distortion at all and I usually just go into my Countryman, split the signal to FOH and then to my rig (pre-Fender SWR Bass 750 + Genz Benz 4x10).

Sadowsky outboard pre, Sansamp, Eden WTDI, Tonehammer...

Final thoughts on these options? Any others?

As usual - Thanks for the input!!
  2. vibhas_2310

vibhas_2310

I have the sansamp . Its strictly ok . I would advise you to look at the other preamps .
  3. Pandabass

Pandabass

Radial Bassbone. Two channels, eq section on one channel, presets on the other. Boost & effects loop switchable. Clean as a whistle. Our FOH guy really likes it.
  4. René_Julien

René_Julien

Wouldn't the Radial ToneBone or EBS MicroBass II be more suitable for your needs?
  5. Longhornhombre

Longhornhombre

I haven't heard much about the ToneBone BassBone, but the good folks at Bass Emporium down here in Austin actually just recommended it to me. Initially it seemed like overkill, but maybe not...Having two channels would be great.

My 55-02 (active) sounds perfect as-is, hence the need for a good clean bypass.
  6. dave_bass5

dave_bass5 Supporting Member

Ive got a Sadowsky and its a really nice DI. It enhances the tone of my bass in a nice way. But its not the same thing as a tone altering Sansamp etc.

One good thing about the Sad is its got a mute button, handy for swapping basses etc.

For what its worth i use a Behringer BDI21 rather than my Sadoswky as i prefer the Sansamp tone.
  7. aledeville

aledeville

Markbass SuperBooster. Simple and good.
  8. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

I own both the bassbone and the Sadowsky. The tone bone is the solution to your problem. BTW, I really like the Sadowsky, and that's why I have a couple of their basses.

The Sadowsky gives you the Sadowsky tone, while the tonebone will give you a more neutral sound. The only fault with the tonebone is that it doesn't have a mute switch.

The guys at Bass emporium are great!! John and his staff really know their stuff and have always been a great help when purchasing gear.
  9. Longhornhombre

Longhornhombre

Thanks folks. Pickebass and dave_bass5 - Will the Sadowsky give me enough of a volume boost with that passive bass? The goal is to give the FOH signal the same volume across the active and passive basses.

To be honest, the EBS and ToneBone just look too complicated for what I want to do, but who knows. I may have to give them all a listen!

Really appreciate the feedback.
  10. dave_bass5

Ive only used my Sad with passive basses but it can certainly get louder than without.
    For the type of EQ i use (low and high on about 9-10 o'clock) i would have the level knob at around 2-3 o'clock to match the bypass level, so i still have quite a bit of travel left on the level knob. I know this is no real indication of how strong a signal you can get but it shows its not at its max.

Im pretty sure your 55-02 has a trim pot in it (mine had with a NMTB pre in it). If so you you could turn that down a bit to help get the level closer to your passive bass.

I know what you mean about some of the other pedals. I had a VT Bass for a couple of weeks and while it was nice it was more than i needed.
  11. gillento

gillento

+1 on the Sadowsky

Another option is the Xotic Bass RC pedal: no DI, just gain (stays clean almost all the way!), Master, Treble, Bass -> very good sounding :)

I had the Radial BassBone and it isn't transparent at all! Even in Channel1 with all tone options "bypassed" it sucks tone!
  12. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Vote: Tonehammer.

It has transparent (yet highly effective) tone shaping (use it to give my passive Jazz some oomph). The AGS switch activated dials in some tube-like goodness (from mild to saturated, warmth and girth to fuzz), and the DI pre/post option out as well. Doesn't suck your tone like some of the Sansamp products, and it's built like a tank.
  13. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

I use the MXR M80 DI with my 55-02. Doesn't color the tone. Love it. Built like a tank.
  14. dave_bass5

Doesnt it have a pre-set mid scoop that you cant turn off when you use the dirty channel?
    I was looking to get one of these but to me it seems like its designed to colour the tone.
    Unless you use just the clean channel of course, but that seem a bit of a waste.
  15. scubaduba

I mostly use the clean channel but its very nice to be able to roll in a little dirt if I want to. It has a three band eq so I don't notice mid scooping.
  16. dave_bass5

Yeah, the demos ive heard sound really good. The clean channel sounds nice. I just think as i personally don't want to use any distortion it might be a bit over kill.

How's the battery life?
  17. scubaduba

battery life is great. It has a phantom power button too so I take the phantom power from the sounds guys when I can. I wouldn't worry about overkill. You can get these things for $80 or less used.
  18. dave_bass5

Cheers.
    They are quite hard to find for $80 over here in the UK though ;-)
  19. newbold

newbold

I just got the eden. Sounds awesome, has a compressor.

I'm a fan.
  20. bradjonesbass

bradjonesbass

I love the bassbone! The other solution would be a J-Retro pre in your 55-60. It has a pull pot to bypass the pre when you want that passive tone. Or both for even more options. The Radial is not complicated at all to use. Just even out the volumes between the two basses, pick your setting on channel 1, adjust the eq on channel two and go.