1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass dist with x-over effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by clintotron, Jun 25, 2013.

1. clintotron

clintotron

I THINK I heard about a bass distortion pedal that effects (or it deemphasizes the opposite of the following...) only the middle and high frequencies, preserving the low end of the bass' tone. Anyone know anything about this? I've literally worn out the Web searching for this. It was shut down for .0005748 nanoseconds.
  2. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

3. clintotron

clintotron

DING DING DING!!!! We have a winner! Thanks so much!
  4. Bigwan

Bigwan

Ashdown Hyperdrive and EBS Sheehan use a bandpass filter so only effect a band of frequencies. Dirty sound can then be blended to taste with the uneffected sound. I think the Iron Ether QF2 will do this too.
  5. gricko

gricko

markbass distorsore also
    hpf, lpf, blend, separate gain for dry and volume for low.
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Inspired by the Trace Eliiot highpass effect loop I came up with Rolls crossover and a blending pedal, I wound up going to 3 channel wounded paw blender to get it hunky dory but a single channel blender works for pedals on same general phase if you put the whole lot into a bypass loop.

Much of the discussion is about the blending, you can go to the end http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/cheap-crossover-loop-blend-974571/

I cannot recommend this setup enough. It opens up the fuzz end of my Behemoth. It makes Heliotrope "civilised" while going nuts, no mean feat.

I tried using the blender alone for a clean blend. It was incomparable to using the highpass.

Looking at the deluxe big muff, apart from the noise gate mine does everything that does for my whole dirt section. $65 for the Rolls and I got the blender off the classifieds for $140, set for life.
  7. crapusername

crapusername

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    The mxr blowtorch only affects the mid frequencies with a switch to select the frequency.
  8. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

This works wonderfully. It sounds like I'm running through a huge PA. Clean lows are punching you in the gut while fuzzy highs are cutting through.

This works much much much much much better than a regular clean blend.

Pro Tip: Keep the filters at 10-11 o'clock and the blend between 11 and 1.
  9. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Disclosures:
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    +1,
    The low end on the LPF is powerful, especially when the switch is set to -0db. You actually get low end gain, rather than loss ;)