bass effect on "land of confusion" by genesis

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lowtom, Sep 20, 2013.

1. lowtom

lowtom

Hi there,

Perhaps some of you can help me out with my question?

I am trying to figure out what effect the bass sound has on land of confusion by genesis. i quess it is some sort of synthipedal? or some other effect? i just saw live footage and i first thought its just keyboards, but there are parts in the song, where the effect is still on when the bass is playing and the keyboards plays other lines. I tried the search button in this forum, but i couldnt get the answer i was looking for.

Thank you.

2. Phagor

Phagor

Yep, it's a synth sound.

I checked a couple of live videos - the bass plays doubles the part (mostly), but the synth is probably played by a sequencer or on a backing track. The synth drops out in the middle 8 and you can hear the bass on its own.

Sounds like a DX7 kind of synth on the original. Not many synth pedals will give you that modern digital sound - they tend to do 70s analog sounds better. You could look for a second hand Akai Deep Impact, but they're expensive.

Or just fake it with a fuzz going into a short punchy envelope filter.

3. lowtom

lowtom

when i watch this version from 2007 i think its a pedal

... first verse ... bass notes and synthi are so close together. how should that be possible with a backing track?

i wonder why you don´t find anything about the effects he uses and rig or anything like that on the internet about that question.

4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

In this video there is clearly an actual synth being played. It's difficult to differentiate what is being played by the bassist or the keyboardist. Could be a synth pedal on the bass or the keyboardist could be playing two different boards, bass notes on one and the chords on another.

EDIT: Damn am I glad that my girlfriend at the time didn't convince me that it was a good idea to go and see them on their "reunion" tour. They sound so weak and boring.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lowtom

lowtom

Its not their best version. Still they are professionals in every note i hear.
    I don´t think its the keyboards. I remember seeing other earlier version from the 90ties, and i saw that the keyboards didn´t play when i heared the effect, but the bass was. So i still think it must be a effect bass pedal.

7. Phagor

Phagor

There's a backing track or sequence. You can hear the count in at the beginning.

8. lowtom

lowtom

ah didn´t hear that, till you said so.

but this doesnt necessarily mean, that it is a backing track. couldn´t that be just a metronom?

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Big-production bands like this use backing tracks ALL THE TIME. It is exceedingly common, and was at the time of that video too.

10. Lobomov

Lobomov

As already stated, you can hear the click in count at the start of the track and why should the bass player have bad time and thus be unable to double the synthtrack?

11. lowtom

lowtom

So you would say, they did this song live with a backing track since early 90s?

Edits says: i found that footage of the 92 tour, where you see his pedal board. i am not sure if you something that could make this sound? that would make your idea of a backing track certain.

(25:05 is the part)