Bass Effect Suggestions for metal.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Piggy8692, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Piggy8692

Piggy8692

I'm trying to find something to change up my sound a little bit. I'm play mostly progressive hard rock and metal and haven't done anything to adjust my sound outside tuning in my EQ. The only pedal I have for bass right now is the SansAmp Bass driver. I have a few Boss pedals for guitar. Metalzone distortion, Chorus, and delay.

I'm mainly interested in effects that are relatively subtle. I don't want anything too crazy. Something for clean guitars and something for when the guitars are using distortion.

What do you guys use? Are there other metal bassists that use effects? Pardon my ignorance. :D

2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

i like my mxr bass fuzz deluxe and tech21 vt bass. the fuzz is pretty thick sounding. the seperate dry/wet knobs make it very versatile. i dont really feel the need to look at any other fuzz pedals. the vt bass adds a lot to my tone. thick punchy clean tones to thick crunchy tones. i love it as well.

3. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 EBMM Nut Supporting Member

4. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

no experiance with it myself, but what he said.
    Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse uses one. you can't get much more metal than that.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

You haven't given us much to go on. There are lots of effects to try, but it's hard to say what you might like or what will fit in well with your band. Plus, for any effect I name your opinion of it could vary greatly based on what actual pedals you are able to try.

chorus
    flanger
    phaser
    delay
    reverb
    distortion
    overdrive
    fuzz
    synth
    octave
    pitch shifter
    wah-wah
    envelope filter

Within each of these sometimes broad categories there are many, many different manufacturers and versions to try. Some pedals combine two or more different effects to create new and interesting tones.

Your best bet is to go to as many local music stores as you can with your bass and test out every pedal in the shop. Some may sound terrible to you or may not work well with your bass, but you'll start to get an idea of things you may like or not like.

If you want me to go out on a limb and make some recommendations, I'll give it a shot. For clean passages, chorus can sound really nice and fill out the sound. There are hundreds of different chorus pedals out there and the differences in sound is not always subtle.

For distorted passages you could always use some form of distortion, too. But there are thousands of options in the range of distortion/fuzz/overdrive. You're opening pandora's box here.

Have fun!

7. Piggy8692

Piggy8692

I know that my options are almost limitless here. I have looked at the Tech21 VT bass and it seemed cool. That B3K Sounds Way crunchy. \m/ Does Mr Webster use it all the time? Where would I find that? I couldn't find it on musiciansfriend or GC

My Local stores don't have crap for bass effects. Go figure. I don't want to run my bass through pedals for guitar if I can avoid it. That's another thread though.

I think some sort of auto-wah would be cool. But I don't really know what will work in a band context. Pandora's box is right. Looks like I've got another project to look forward to. I've always been a bare bones bassist. This is all new to me.

I'm gonna look into a wah and a synth. Maybe that will be a start. Unfortunately I'm pretty much restricted to youtube demos. :(

Thanks for your insight.

8. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

No problem.

Wah is classic, but I've never owned one. You can get some of the same sounds with an envelope filter. The EBQ BassIQ is pretty popular.

Not sure about the B3K. That might be one to buy direct.

And don't rule out guitar pedals. Just because something isn't specifically designed for bass doesn't mean it can't be used. Some guitar pedals can roll off the bass or thin out the tone, but even that can work sometimes in the right context.

The classifieds here on Talkbass are a great way to try things. You'll be able to find some very exotic pedals and try them out. You'll save a little money since they're used and then if you find it's not for you, you have the shipping box and everything, so sell it and pass it along to someone else.

9. Piggy8692

Piggy8692

Maybe I'll throw my guitar pedal board in with my bass stuff. Something might work. At least I'll have something to start with. Thanks again.

10. ManuelJG

ManuelJG

+1 on the B3K
    On the other hand, if you want a versatile distortion with lots of distortion/synthy options, check out Source Audio's multiwave distortion pro.

11. icecycle66

icecycle66

In no particular order:

Green Russian Muff
    Down Octave pedal (Pearl or Multiplexor)
    Reverb with a wet dry mix (Nimbus is my choice)
    Foot controlled wah (i hate autowah/filters. You can get the same sound with a treadle and more control)

12. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

I personally only use the SansAmp. In my band, we play tuned in C, metalcore, so I need the low register slam for breakdowns, and the growly overdrive does good for mating up with the guitars well. All I do is run the sansamp with blend on full, presence on full, with the drive knob at about 2 o'clock, adjust bass and treble to taste. I have the EQ on my head set flat, except the 4k slider knocked down about 3/4 to cut the harshness out of my particular rig, and play hard! Slam the strings like they owe you money. As far as other effects go, I'd say maybe a wah with distortion, to a little bass diddy along side a guitar run, a la Coroner mixed with Cliff Burton. For playin with the clean guitars, try a nice subtle chorus.

13. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

Line 6 M-13 has a bunch of everything.

14. fercorellia

fercorellia

MXR di+, good prize, versatile... Try it! I also use an Aguilar Octamizer, both together are a perfect combo for metal. Of course, there are lots of better effect pedals, but you can save money and get a great result with that.

15. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Tech 21 Red Ripper
    EHX Russian Big Muff
    a thick octaver

and as mentioned before: HIT THE DAMN STRINGS!