Bass Effect Suggestions for sludge/doom metal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sebif, Jan 11, 2013.

1. sebif

sebif

Hello guys, this is my first time posting on this awesome forum. Although I've been playing bass for 5 years, money has always been tight, so I've yet to graduate from my 10 watt starter amp and never been able to buy any effects pedals, pods, or pedal boards or anything of the like. Fortunately, times have changed and I some money to put toward music equipment. So I come here to ask for some help on my finding my desired tone(s). I'm looking for a really fuzzy and/or distorted tone that is often used in sludge/stoner metal and often hardcore punk. Here are some examples of what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance. Any and all help is much appreciated! :bassist:

2. boomertech

boomertech Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    Spend a few hours at bassfuzz.com

-Frank

3. nikki271027

nikki271027

4. Low Sound Love

Low Sound Love

So many great fuzz pedals ... You should try as many as you can. If possible, try them in your band setting, because what sounds good on your own might not cut it in the band.

Great Muff-type fuzzes:Earthbound Audio Supercollider, Fuzzrocious Grey Stache, Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz, Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian or Pickle Pie B, Earthquaker Devices Hoof Fuzz, Mojo Hand FX Colossus ... or you could hunt down a vintage Electro-Harmonix Big Muff (the green Russian ones generally get most praise from bass players).

Some cool non-muff fuzzes: Malekko B:assmaster, Zvex Woolly Mammoth, Wampler Leviathan, MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe or El Grande Bass Fuzz.

If fuzz doesn't deliver the sounds you want you might try heavy distortion: EBS MetalDrive or the new Billy Sheehan signature pedal, Wampler Triple Wreck, Fuzzrocious Rat Tail/Rat King ... or you could stack overdrives ... endless possibilities.

Gotta warn you though: once you start this quest for dirt, there's no telling where it's gonna take you! :help:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Derelict78

Derelict78

first buy a new amp

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    + 10000000000

If you think a 10 w practice amp will ever give you doom tone, forget it. Now if you were in a trve kvlt black metal band, your amp would be perfect. Look up "valnott" on Youtube.

8. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

+1 or +100000000000000000

9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Absolutely, you need a real bass amp before even considering adding effects. A good amp and spkrs are the best investment youy could make, assuming your bass is what you like.

10. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

+1 to upgrading your amp. But I do understand the need for controlled distortion. Go find a second-hand ProCo "Rat", and put the rest of your money in the amp fund. The same basic Rat design has been around for 30 years, so they're easy to come by. It's a guitar distortion box, but for *years* it was also the best I knew for bass - and you'd see a lot of big-name bassists using them on stage back in the 20th century. Just keep the tone control set most of the way to the left to keep it from being too trebly. They have a 9V outboard power input, but for bass they actually sound best with a slghtly "soft" supply, i.e. a not-brand-new battery. Awesome roaring bass for cheap.

11. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    +1. Doom isn't very doomy at 10 watts. It also isn't very doomy if you are unable to jam with other musicians because your amp is inaudible. Save for a solid rig first. Long term you'll be happier.

12. Josh Pelican

Josh Pelican

Go to the Stoner/Doom Bassist club. We'll talk there.

Some of those guys don't like to stray too far from what they know. It gets weird outside of the Doom thread.

13. xfredrikx

xfredrikx

Verellen Meat Smoke.

14. necropain

necropain

so my first question is are you looking for traditional fuzzed out doom or anything out of the ordinary of doom

firstly i will say dont listen to these posers hating on your amp, they are the idiots who don't seem to realize you weren't posting on the amp forum you are posting on the effect forum.

secondly i would suggest a fuzz or distortion for anybody as their first effect no matter what they are playing. since you are looking for affordable and doomy i would suggest these
    DOD grunge
    Digitech Deathmetal
    Joyo Voodoo Ocatave
    Boss DS-1
    or any other really thick distortion

next since you mentioned you like Caxide i will suggest if you can find a good price for one get an RV-3. money has always been tight for me. and i still paid the 100 dollars i saved up for it and i dont regret it one bit it is completely worth it and then some.

chorus is always good.

and don't ever count out Danelectro or Behringer. they make good effects for cheap, but theres to many people on here that are too proud of their money to realize that there are some good cheap effects, for example best vibrato pedal i have ever used is the Danelectro Chicken Salad. -

15. necropain

necropain

im just saying that hiding in a corner is probably one of the most Un-Doom things i have ever heard of

16. Josh Pelican

Josh Pelican

No one said anything about hiding. We're just sitting in a room with more gear than people so we can't get out.

The guys in the corner are rolling joints.

17. sebif

sebif

Thanks for all the feed back guys! I do realize an proper rig should be my first investment, and it will be. I've been looking at Ampeg products; either the Micro-VR & SVT-210AV combo or Ampeg PF-500 Portaflex and PF-115HE Stack. Maybe somebody could help me or point me to the right forum to ask about that. Reason I ask about pedals now is so I know what to start researching now so I know what to get for my next investment.

Thanks for all the info! I definitely have a lot to look at! I really appreciate it!

18. Dark Barn

Dark Barn Supporting Member

Let's see. Chronic depression, stage fright, anxiety attacks, biting the head off a bat, so un-doom.

19. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

I stand by what I said, but just for grins I took a quick web search for second-hand Rats, and was surprised to discover that my old, steel-case Rat, for which I must have paid no more than $49.95 way back when, is now a worth almost $200, as a "vintage" effect, just about what I paid for the EBS MetalDrive that I bought to replace it!

20. JoeVictim

JoeVictim

What Josh is saying is that we have a thread dedicated to all things doom. Amps, basses, effects, we talk about it all. Clubs and groups exist for a reason. We aren't hiding, we are just very comfortable. We are probably one of the easiest threads to find, since we are mostly one of the "new post" threads on the front page. And we are probably the easiest group to get along with.