1. Please note: We are performing several software upgrades tonight, Sept 29th. Please bear with us. You may notice some formatting issues and other bugs.

Bass eq pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassistcali, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Bassistcali

Bassistcali

I found a boss GEB-7 for 40 bucks. Is it worth it? What can I do with it?

2. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    It's worth it if you want one, a decent price for that kind of pedal. You can use it a number of ways:
    - If you use 2 different basses, EQ and level match one to the other so you don't have to change amp EQ when you switch basses.
    - You can EQ for a different tone, like a dub tone or a slap tone.
    - You can use it as a tone-sculpted boost; boost the mids and overall volume for soloing, for example.

Many other ways to use an eq pedal too, only your imagination limits the possible uses.

3. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

EQ pedals can be very handy in conjunction with distortion.

4. Bassistcali

Bassistcali

I use a lot of distortion actually.. How can they

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. groooooove

groooooove

don't bother!

you have EQ on your amp. is that not enough? is there a specific freq. range that needs tweaking?

a lot of EQ can make good rigs sound awful. less is more... and the more knobs or sliders you have available, the more youll end up using.

7. BFunk

I would start by placing it after distortion. That is often the most useful application. You can use it to shape the distortion effect to your taste. Add or subtract bass and highs, or change the mid character

You could also try it before distortion. In this case, it is usually used to make the distortion more sensitive to certain frequency ranges. Say you don't want the low notes to distort as much as mids, then reduce the lows a bit. A little goes a long way. This is most useful with mild overdrive IMO.

And don't buy into the bs you should only have one eq. Use as many as you need/like. Just be aware of the pluses and minuses. As always: USE YOUR EARS!!

8. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

At that price buy it ...

9. Helluvatim

Helluvatim

Great EQ pedal, I used it to boost volume and bottom end under a guitar solo, it is somewhat noisy, I ditched it if favor of a DOD 7 band bass eq

10. BFunk

Yeah, it is noisy by today's standards. But that is ok for shaping distortion. :)

11. AlexBassMP

AlexBassMP

I've never used one of these (I use my 9 band eq from my bass head ) , but it's usefull to have a different sound at your feet...

12. Bassistcali

Bassistcali

Woah...I got it and with my big muff it makes the fuzz and dist sound clearer and way better... Even on a clean signal it sounds great... Your right about the one eq- IMO its more effective in tone shaping than my amp head

13. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

I'm going to jump in here with a question I've been wondering about. Is an EQ pedal essentially a preamp with tone shaping? Would an EQ pedal with an active bass be overkill?

14. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member