Bass Equalizer. Useful?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lopesraphael, Dec 21, 2013.

1. lopesraphael

lopesraphael

What do u guys think about Bass Eq? Useful? Can be substituted by amplifier's eq?

Is there any cool one to suggest?

Sorry for evetual spelling mistakes.

2. Bassmike62

Bassmike62

It always depends on what you're looking for, but here's something left-fieldish if you're wanting something that can give you the tones you're looking at the tap of the foot... I had a bass EQ pedal for a short while, as well as a few amps with EQss, but no matter how slip-sliding I did, I never got the tone I wanted. So I dropped the issue. Then this summer, I buy the Zoom MS60B, which has tons of things to play with, including EQs (both bass and parametric). That still didn't do it. Then it dawns on me... since I use the 60B for its patches (in my case: clean, slap, reggae, fretless and oldskool), I AM using this pedal as an EQ pedal, with those patches acting as presets. All this for around the same price as a Boss or MXR EQ pedal.

:)

3. Twick

Twick

I personally like using a graphic EQ pedal to notch out a few dB between 300-400 Hz to clean up some mud from my Bongo. I prefer this to using the on onboard preamp on the bass or my amp's EQ because the graphic EQ has narrower Q's (the range of frequencies effected by each slider is very small compared to a typical 3 band EQ), and doesn't suck the punch from my lower mids.
    If you're just wanting to experiment with EQ, a used Boss GEB-7 can be found on craigslist any day of the week.

4. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

It can be very useful if you come into a strange room and you need to whack out some specific problem.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser Supporting Member

7. Linnin

Linnin

8. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

This.

The thing about bass frequencies is they have rather long wavelengths that when playing at volume, walls, ceilings etc can interfere with making certain notes leap out or disappear. A parametric eq (if your amp doesn't have one) can be set to home in on these offending frequencies and fix them.

9. lopesraphael

lopesraphael

How about using eq to adjust and vary tone?

10. bassbrad

bassbrad

Eqs can be useful tools for tone shaping and i personally find that less is more ymmv. Using an EQ pedal to cop a particular tone is a valid option for a quick change.

I have several EQs that see action from time to time like a classic MXR 6 band, Boss Bass 7 band EQ [both the brown and silver] and a Sholtz Instrument EQ but these days my main EQ is the [sfx]AY2 or the 3 band eq in the bassman model on the B2. My amp EQ is essentially flat or used to adjust to the room.

11. Radio Face

Radio Face

Simple answer to your question is, yes, bass EQ is useful.

12. lopesraphael

lopesraphael

Thank you.

I got a pbass which is going to come back from luthier with flats strung. I play in a blues band.

I do want to know about eq's since i usually play on a GK and actually i'm not perfectly satisfied with my tone.

I know it'll be completely different with flats but... what do u guys suggest in this case?

13. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

I think you need to explain what it is about your tone that you're not satisfied with. It may be that there's other tools that may suit your issue more.