bass equalizer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by muthertucker17, Mar 5, 2014.

1. muthertucker17

muthertucker17

I'm looking for an equalizer for my bass rig and i don't really know where to start. There isn't much of a selection when i look at amazon or ebay and none of the ratings are more than 3 stars. are there any recommendations for a nice bass eq? my rig is a fender PJ bass into a hartke LH1000 into a hartke hydrive 410 1000w.

now when i say i don't know where to start i mean this: does amp wattage matter when searching for an eq? are rack mount eq's better than pedal or does it depend on the brand and whatnot?

2. grunge_freak

grunge_freak

I've heard all good things about the MXR ten-band EQ. And you can get them pretty cheap too. There's an ad in the classifieds as we speak for one for $70 shipped, and that includes a power adapter. Considering they're over $100 new without the adapter, I would recommend you at least check it out.

3. muthertucker17

muthertucker17

thanks for the tip man! got awesome ratings everywhere i see it. i'll definitely check it out

4. grunge_freak

grunge_freak

not a problem! I don't own one personally but a friend recommended it to me, and it seems to get solid ratings across the board.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

What are you using the EQ for? The MXR 10 band is great for "fixing" rooms by cutting or boosting certain frequencies, but in my experience MXR EQs have a ton of gain/sensitive sliders. If you are looking more into tone shaping, the Boss GEB-7 is fairly solid, though a touch buffered as is the case with Boss.

For just a bit more money, though, the Source Audio Programmable EQ is one of the best I've tried. The full range of its sliders are usable on bass and it gives you four presets that let you switch up settings/sounds on the fly.

Amp wattage won't come into play here. Generally speaking, rack vs pedal depends on your needs. If you want/need super fine control, then rack mounts tend to offer more in that department by providing more sliders and thus more frequencies to control. You could theoretically control even more, though, with a good pedal parametric EQ like the Empress. Again, depends on your needs.

7. mtb777

mtb777 Serving bottom for the Most High. Supporting Member

I just got the Source Audio Programmable EQ and it's great! To hit the highlights, it's digital. Very easy to see. 4 programmable presets. Use like a TURBO. boost for loud parts of songs. Tune a bad room right. Etc.

8. Captain Sunshin

Captain Sunshin

I like the idea of the MXR, but seriously dislike the idea of a 18V power supply, just for one pedal. I recently was in a similar situation and ended up going with a Mooer bass eq. The pros include its size, price, and control over the lower frequencies, however, it doesn't quite have the upper mid and high control that many other pedals have. For me it works a treat, but it might not be what you're looking for.

Just another option for your consideration :)

9. fheliojr

fheliojr

wmd parametric utility.

10. thebreakman

thebreakman Supporting Member

11. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

The MXR is in my gigbag for either fixing rooms OR, if I'm using the BOSE rig, my Line 6 PODXTLive craters. Straight into the BOSE does not work for me, the EQ fixed that problem. It can also be used as a flat solo booster AND work with signals as low as a bass pickup up to line level(the Line 6's output).

12. jg919

jg919

I find that anything parametric or semi-parametric is GREAT!
    I have the Boss Bass Parametric EQ - which is 3 band, and you can select your bass/mid/treble frequency, then boost/cut (plus a level control).
    The selectable frequency allows you to fine-tune exactly the tone you want in any situation - which I find a lot more useful than any preset frequency bands.
    Para or semi-para curcuits come in pedal form, and rack-mount - some have a bandwidth control, some don't - this is where your taste will come in. Overall though, I have gone to para, and never looked back! :)

13. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

+1.

14. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

A lot of people seem to like the Rane rackmount dual channel jobby.

Good luck with it, I hope you find what you need/want.

15. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are good and not-so-good quality products in both formats. Consider these points instead:
    Do you want more ease of use?
    Do you want more precision?
    Are you looking for different tones, broad tone shaping?
    Are you looking to control feedback, rumble, or other "surgical" issues?
    Are you looking for any specific types of tones?
    Do you want multiple presets?
    Your realistic price range?

Remember you can't have it all, so it will help you to pick the few things that are most important.

16. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

Could someone give an example or two of how they modify their sound with an eq to fix a difficult room? Inquiring minds want to know.

17. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

I got the MXR for switching between basses and occasional pick playing. It works great. I have a minimal pedal board with good DIY power distribution. No regrets on here.

18. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    One common example is there can be a room resonance around 120 Hz, causing boomy wolf notes there, maybe even feedback. So you notch that resonant frequency out to remove the boom/wolf.

A hollow stage can be a big resonant chamber, so you can also cut the particular range of lows that interact with the stage to make boom, mud, or rumble.

Rooms may also have "dead zones" for certain frequency ranges, where it can help to get a little extra boost in those frequencies.