1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bass, fiddle duets

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by gprigge, Nov 6, 2012.

1. gprigge

gprigge

I play in a old-time fiddle band, lots of basic pizz fifths and walks. Fiddler is also an accomplished classical player. I've been working on bowing for a couple years, and have rudimentary skills.

We'd like to do a duet that would be different from our usual fare, just to add variety. She suggested Solace by Joplin, but the timing is difficult for me. I need something more dumbed down on the bass end.

Any ideas? Either classical or modern might work

Thanks.

2. calshands

calshands

3. gprigge

gprigge

I was thinking more of a bowed bass, violin duet. No vocals.

4. petesenkowski

petesenkowski

How about an air, like the Shetland tune, "Da Slockit Light"? Or some O'Carolan tunes. I bow many of the waltzes we play, mostly playing just about the same lines that I'd play pizz, occasionally throwing in a bit of melody on simpler pieces. I also would describe my arco skills as rudimentary.

Thanks,
    Pete

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gprigge

gprigge

Thanks. Those are fine suggestions. I appreciate them and will try them with the fiddler. We can probably put something together.

When we started our fearless leader wanted to create a contra dance band, but we have trouble finding callers, and we keep getting gigs playing as a regular band. I bow a bass line when I can on the occasional waltz, but the fiddle, banjo and 12-string like that steady beat. (That's why they keep me.)

We have a four-hour gig coming up, and I want to throw in some variety to keep it from all sounding the same.

Thanks again.