1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Bass, fiddle duets

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by gprigge, Nov 6, 2012.

1. gprigge

gprigge

Dec 19, 2007
    Rice Lake, Wis.
    I play in a old-time fiddle band, lots of basic pizz fifths and walks. Fiddler is also an accomplished classical player. I've been working on bowing for a couple years, and have rudimentary skills.

We'd like to do a duet that would be different from our usual fare, just to add variety. She suggested Solace by Joplin, but the timing is difficult for me. I need something more dumbed down on the bass end.

Any ideas? Either classical or modern might work

Thanks.

2. calshands

calshands

Feb 11, 2004
  3. Sponsored by:

to hide this ad and more.
  4. gprigge

gprigge

Dec 19, 2007
    Rice Lake, Wis.
    I was thinking more of a bowed bass, violin duet. No vocals.

5. petesenkowski

petesenkowski Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    How about an air, like the Shetland tune, "Da Slockit Light"? Or some O'Carolan tunes. I bow many of the waltzes we play, mostly playing just about the same lines that I'd play pizz, occasionally throwing in a bit of melody on simpler pieces. I also would describe my arco skills as rudimentary.

Thanks,
    Pete

6. gprigge

gprigge

Dec 19, 2007
    Rice Lake, Wis.
    Thanks. Those are fine suggestions. I appreciate them and will try them with the fiddler. We can probably put something together.

When we started our fearless leader wanted to create a contra dance band, but we have trouble finding callers, and we keep getting gigs playing as a regular band. I bow a bass line when I can on the occasional waltz, but the fiddle, banjo and 12-string like that steady beat. (That's why they keep me.)

We have a four-hour gig coming up, and I want to throw in some variety to keep it from all sounding the same.

Thanks again.