1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bass for Beginner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by themarsvolta, Feb 20, 2013.

1. themarsvolta

themarsvolta

what would be a recommendation for a bass for me? I plan to play latin jazz fusion and prog rock.

2. Duckwater

Duckwater

3. themarsvolta

themarsvolta

any ibanez recommendations?

4. JCheung

JCheung Supporting Member

Depending on your budget I'd say a sterling by musicman sub series, squier 60s precision, or squier jazz. Haven't played an Ibanez in the beginner budget range that I liked more than the squiers I mentioned

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Duckwater

Duckwater

Honestly I've played Squier basses that I liked more than many more expensive basses, I haven't had that same experience with other entry level instruments but yours may vary. No matter what, make sure to play it before you buy it.

7. Einherjar

Einherjar

Personal opinion... I really dislike budget Ibanezs (specifically the "gio" line, dunno if they still make them... Talk about garbage). I'd agreed with squier vintage modified jazz or classic vibe jazz. Sterling by music man Sub basses are very good too.

8. themarsvolta

themarsvolta

how many strings would you recommend?

9. Einherjar

Einherjar

Um, 4?

10. themarsvolta

themarsvolta

ok, because i saw 6 and 5 stringed and I was thrown off

11. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Avoid those thin necked Ibanez basses. I would say Squire. I can't believe the quality for the price these days.

12. pflash4001

pflash4001

+1 on Squier. The price/quality factor is amazing. Get a Vintage Modified Jazz Bass and take it to a good tech for a good setup and put a good set of strings on it and you're set to go. Another thing...if you're just starting out, ask the tech to let you sit in on the setup and ask questions...knowing how to set up your own basses is a very good skill to have. No one else will know the best setup for your hands. I kinda think of it like getting someone to break in a new pair of running shoes for you. They're broken in...but for someone else's feet. Just do it yourself...

13. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Absolutely correct. The VM and CV Squiers are amazingly good. You can't go wrong there - great sound, quality and playability.

14. RBX4

RBX4

Squier Jazz Bass

15. Buslady7803

Buslady7803

16. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Personally, I'm quite biased towards the Squier P-Bass Specials, what with the Precision/Jazz pickup configurations and the slimmer Jazz neck. You can get a broad range and blend of tones with them. If you're going to play progressive rock you will likely need the deeper growl you get when you roll the jazz pickup off to 50% or less to let the precision pickup take the lead.

The one problem with the Specials is that they've been discontinued. However, it doesn't take much digging around places like eBay or Guitar Center's used catalog to find one.

But if you want something "brand new" and like the aforementioned specs, not all hope is lost. The current crop of Squier Vintage Modified Jaguars are pretty sweet. If you're just starting out, I'd specifically recommend the VM Special. It has the P/J pickups, a jazz neck, it's pretty light (as far as most basses go) and the bass-boost circuit (the fourth, smaller knob) really cranks out some impressive sound for a $200 bass.

17. mystic38

mystic38

you absolutely cannot beat the playability of an ibanez...and pick a 4 string.. why make it harder than it needs to be?

anyone recommending Precision or Jazz basses to a beginner simply has not played an Ibanez.. the necks are narrow, slim and fast and that is the most important factor in learning...something that HELPS you get better.

18. Durockrolly

Durockrolly

What's your budget???

19. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

I currently own and have owned many Ibanez basses...they are usually well built and the fit and finish is usually very good...but IMHO the feel and sound very Sterile and they sit in their cases and don't get much play

The most important thing for a beginner is that the bass feel comfortable to you...if it isn't comfortable you simply won't play it...

the current crop of Squier VM and CV series are very good basses for the money

but if it were me starting out...it would be on one of these

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the necks on these LTD's are simply awesome

20. mystic38

mystic38

mucho agreement on comfort & playability as #1..

personally i would add to buy off CL.. $100 buys a very useable beginner bass...never heard/played an ESPy though they do look good

21. bampilot06

bampilot06

Vm jag special. Only 179. Easy to play and great tone, will prolly have to get the action set after you buy it.