1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bass fret hand problems

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by JCalpha, Jan 8, 2013.

1. JCalpha

JCalpha

Hi, I'm have recently taken up bass guitar and I am having problems with my ring finger and pinky. I have no strength or accuracy with them. I only use the first 2 fingers to play. How can I improve the strength and accuracy with my ring and pinky. I do strengthening and accuracy exercises but it does not seem to help. Please can anyone help

2. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

I bought the instructional video (yes... VHS) tape that this clip was taken from. That was over 20 years ago, but it's still a great way to strengthen the fretting hand and build dexterity.

3. JCalpha

JCalpha

Thanks for the video, I will go and try it now

4. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

The "spider" exercise has worked well for me, in that regard.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fearceol

fearceol

Try placing your hand palm down on a table. Lift the index finger about an inch (or as much as possible without forcing or straining), hold for five seconds then let it down again. Repeat this exercise with each finger, one at a time.

The good thing about this exercise is that it can be done away from the bass.

With the bass, try following the instructions in the link below. Also be sure to warm up first with gentle stretches, even before you touch the bass. Search You Tube for "Hand Stretches for (Bass)Guitar".

I would NOT recommend trying to to the spider exercise at this stage. IMO it would be too much of a strain until your hand and fingers adapt to what is required of them to play the bass. Dont over do the exercises at one go, but do them on a regular basis.

7. JCalpha

JCalpha

Thanks for all your help, i am using the exercises regularly.
    Rock on!

8. FourtyOneHz

FourtyOneHz

Get one of these, it certainly helped me. They are available almost everywhere and cost around $10 - $15:

http://prohands.net/Prohands-Music/index.php

9. fearceol

fearceol

OP, while I realise that FourtyOneHz is just trying to be helpful, IMO the above gadget is useless from a bass playing aspect. That gadget develops grip, which has no part in bass playing. A minimal amount of strength is required to fret a string. This strength is present in all healthy adults from the age of about five years.

In a nutshell.......dont waste your money. :)