Bass fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ZombiBoi95, Apr 9, 2014.

1. ZombiBoi95

ZombiBoi95

Ok so I don't know a lot about pedals but I need to expand my sound so I'm gunna buy a fuzz. I've had a look about and the Devi ever ruiner which sounds like what I want (despite how hard they are to get in england) I think because of the combination of the two dark boosts together. But being hard to get is there any clones of this pedal or any close to the sound it gives?
  2. GretschBassist

GretschBassist Supporting Member

3. ZombiBoi95

ZombiBoi95

That seems to be more of a distortion pedal then a fuzz to me
  4. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Have you seen the darkglass duality? I highly recommend that one. The one think you have to watch out for with fuzz is getting lost in the mix. So you want a fuzz that will be able to cut through well. I've heard really good things about the team awesome fuzz machine. Never used it though. I have used a fuzzhugger bass bloom which was quite nice and had tons of tonal options on it as well. Also check out the bumble fuzz. I hear great things about that one as well, but haven't used it either. Just trying to throw more suggestions out there. The diobolik by malekko I believe has been getting a lot of love round these parts as well lately.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. franksgbass

franksgbass Supporting Member

A lot of great fuzz pedals say the word distortion on them. Don't let that throw you off. Clean blend is a nice option if you want you're low end to stay put.
  7. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

HowieWowie likes this.
  8. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

Start with the benchmark: Electro Harmonix Bass Big Muff PI.
    It is available in the UK and this pedal delivers a lot of value for this price point.
    Once you get a feel for what fuzz does on bass, venture into more specialized and pricey pedals.
  9. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke Supporting Member

+1, it has a dry switch that allows you to use the volume knob to blend the fuzz into your clean signal.
  10. johnbegone

johnbegone

Media:
    To the OP - have you listened to clips of the Ruiner? It's not a sound for everyone. But if that's what you're looking for, it kind does a Wooly Mammoth thing. A WM clone or a Zvex Mastotron might be better (and significantly more versatile) than an actual Ruiner.

Everyone is just kind of throwing their hat in for their favorite fuzz here but these are wildly different options. If you can narrow your desires down a bit, or post some clips you like, we can more easily point you in the right direction!
  11. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

whats your setup? What kinda music do you play? Any kind of fuzz tones you want to achieve?

I think these are all important questions to ask before you dive in to the vast array of fuzz pedals. Check out Fuzz Wars on pedalsandeffects.com lots of great demos there.
  12. ZombiBoi95

ZombiBoi95

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbf_42qjx2k

I would bloody love a woolly mammoth but they cost too much
    I've had a look at a big muff but I just don't think they are for me one if my mates has got one and ill be trying it out tommorow, never know I might like it.
    I play all different types of music
  13. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

I would recommend checking out Way Huge Swollen Pickle. Fuzzrocious makes a Ram the Manparts pedal which is an OD but gets into some pseudo fuzz face-esque territory.
  14. Dradder

Dradder

And it's tiny! That's going on my wish list. Thanks!
  15. johnbegone

johnbegone

Media:
    Get a mammoth then! Clones are easy to come by in the $60-80 US range (check ebay) or the classifieds here. I recently replaced my WM clone with a Mastotron. It's got the Relax/Push knob that allows you to put it anywhere in your pedal chain. The wooly mammoth demands to be first, pretty much (which was fine until I wanted to toss an octaver in front).

http://www.thomann.de/gb/zvex_mastotron_vextron_serie.htm
    http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/pedals_s_detail.asp?stock=09042715491429
    http://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/zvex-vextron-series-mastotron-effects-pedal.html

!
  16. Denver Max

Denver Max

I got a Diabolik a couple weeks ago. Changed my life. Sound great by itself or stacked with more dirt. Goes from wide open throaty fuzz to squishy throbbing fuzz with a slight volume swell effect. Also, the way the note decays is simply inspiring. I like to give the body or neck of my bass a little thump and listen to the crackly explosion. Sounds like nothing else I've ever played.
  17. FaithNoMan

FaithNoMan

I love my Darkglass overdrive for my tone, but that is an awesome sounding fuzz. Would love to take it for a spin.
  18. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

If you want a ruiner, get a ruiner. If you want a mammoth get a mammoth clone on the cheap. There's a builder on eBay Ralph Campbell that let's them go around $60-70 regularly. If the muff sound doesn't intrigue you then don't waste your time.
  19. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

I know this has gotten a stale a bit but I don't why I didnt think of this before. If you like the Super fuzz. Smallsound/Bigsound has a new pedal out called a BUZZZ which is a highly modded superfuzz clone with lots of features. Worth taking a look.
  20. Unemploid

Unemploid

i use mxr bass fuzz deluxe
  21. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

I got to try that one out at NAMM, it's a KILLER take on the Superfuzz!!