1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bass Gear Review of Skyline DJ-5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

I thought this review of a well known bass was very interesting. Vic Serbe said what most of us would, he thought it was a solid take on the Jazz Bass theme, and that he could see himself using a DJ-5 as a gig workhorse. He did, however not a few issues with the bass, especially the inability to get the action as low as he would prefer.

Phil Manieri gave the bass a thorough technical going over, and he really noted the gap in the neck pocket, and a bad cut of the nut as finish features that looked bad on a bass in this price range. He noted that the shortcomings were not deal breakers, but they were good either.

I just noted this review, because so many rip Fender for production shortcomings, but this review showed how easily these sorts of things can crop up in mass produced instrument. More important, the review also showed how these shortcomings do not stand in the way of actually using such a bass if you are willing to do some work on it or pay a fairly small amount of money for the work to get the bass set up the way you like it.

2. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    +1 on this. My Brubaker Brute is about to go through a thorough set up, string change and tweaking to the electronics. For what I paid for it, and what it will be after a few tweaks it will be a worthy bass to gig with. I always did like the DJ5 though on sight. I've never played one.

3. Dr. Cheese

I've played at least three DJ-5s, and I highly recommend them. My point is that so often people rag on Fender, and the truth is that Fender is a mass produced instrument, and some fit and finish issues can pop up on any instrument in that category as they did with the Skyline DJ-5 in Bassgear.

4. Dr. Cheese

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    I have a Fender Geddy Lee as you can tell and IMO it's a fine girl. The sailors say Brandy, you're fine girl, what good wife you would be......Check what out?

7. Dr. Cheese

I just want some feedback on this subject.

8. SRFSterling5

SRFSterling5 Gold Supporting Member

I've got 2 55-02's. One had issues (ordered from a guitar shop) the other one
    on Amazon (no issues). The issues related to setup (truss rod and bridge saddles out of
    adjustment). Tuning machines were not aligned prior to screwing down, so from the back
    of the neck they look off. Other than that, they play and feel fantastic. A little better
    quality control on the small items, fine for an under $500 but not on a $1,500 instrument.

9. Tonegasm

Tonegasm Supporting Member

I own a DJ5 and a 55-02. Both played flawlessly from the very beginning.

10. baba

baba

I've had two Korean Skyline DJ5's and both could get insanely low action. They were flawless in all regards. I'm surprised to hear about anything off with the new ones.

11. Dr. Cheese

I have no doubt that the great majority of DJ-5s arrive in the USA in perfect shape for gigging. My point is that no one should be surprised that a bass can show up with fairly minor issues from time to time, and if it can happen to a Skyline, no one should be surpised that it can happen with Fender, a company that produces a much greater number of instruments at the same price point.

I say this as someone who has owned two 55-02s and one 55-01.

12. BobaFret

BobaFret Supporting Member

I bought an AJ4 fairly recently and it had a few "things" that weren't perfect. The holes for string through are a little off of where the plate holes are (still works fine) and the stacked pot had come loose.

I don't expect a budget bass to be perfect and fixed them. I never intended to keep the pre-amp so it really didn't matter. But, I think people should be happy with their investment so can't really say they shouldn't be critical. I do agree that every company that mass produces anything will have some QC issues.