1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bass Gigbags / Cases

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by el murdoque, Feb 5, 2014.

1. el murdoque

el murdoque

The last time i went to rehearsal, i noticed the handle of my case is creaking in a very uncomfortable way. Actually, that's a not very nice looking tweed case the luthier who built my bass had lying around in his shop and since he needed something to put the bass in for shipping, he gave it to me for free. I feel like i need an upgrade. A first websearch yielded the Reunion Blues Aero series http://reunionblues.com/product/160/AERO-B2
    bag/case, which looks nice but also looks like there's no room for the stuff i carry with me (spare batteries, strap, cable, notes).
    Do you have any recommendations for me?
    I play a custom bass with 36" and non-Fender bodyshape.

2. JennySuzuki

JennySuzuki

3. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Mono makes a great soft case, and the guitar tic adds a lot of storage. I don't think it balances very well with the carry handle though.

I just got a protec contego with a bass I bought, and I like it a lot! Maybe a little less room in the pocket dept, but it balances really well.

4. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I have a MONO M-80 and a MONO Vertigo. Both are fantastic cases but don't have a lot of storage/pocket room compared to other brands. Having said that, I don't have any problems fitting 3 cables, a folding stand, power strip, and strap in the front pocket of the M-80.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

7. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

When did gig bags over take hard cases? I use hard cases for all my basses. What's the appeal of the gig bag? Just doesn't seem as safe to me.

8. dalkowski

dalkowski

While nothing beats a hard case for protection, some gig bags can be pretty protective. Advantages:
    • Lighter weight
    • Shoulder strap frees up a hand -- some of us can load in/out in one trip.
    HOWEVER, I would case my bass if anyone but me were handling it even the smallest bit. Also, if it's being loaded in a van with bandmates' gear.

9. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I never use hard cases anymore. They're too big and heavy. If I was touring in a van or loading my gear on buses and planes every night, I would use a hard case. But I'm traveling by car/taxi to a gig, so smaller and lighter is better for me.

MONO makes really strong and supportive gig bags. Reunion Blues makes some good ones, too. These companies are a far cry from the old "potato sack" gig bags.

10. B String

B String Supporting Member

If you have a longer than usuall bass, you may want to go with a Mooradian bag. They've been making some of the best bags around for almost 40 years...in the USA. They do custom length bags for no or very small extra charge. More storage than almost any other bag. Light weight with lots of foam. Mine stil looks new after 5 or 6 years of constant use.