1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass Guitar Pedal Board Setup

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Wlbravo, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Wlbravo

Wlbravo

Hey Guys,
    I am trying to put together a bass guitar pedal board but I don't know what pedals to put on it. I play Country, Funk, Rock, Christian, and Blues songs and I need a setup that will support all of the above. Anyone got any suggestions or setups of their own they can share? Post a picture if it's a setup or if it's just advise anything works!

Thanks guys!
  2. EricssonB

EricssonB

[​IMG]

EDIT: I'd start out with getting the bass "tone" that you want, probably with a bitchen' preamp, then add effects to taste. There are all sorts of preamps, and I'm sure folks will chime in with what they recommend.
  3. Wlbravo

Wlbravo

I am not looking for a drum pedal but thanks for the info I can defiantly look into it for my drum set!
  4. eveilleu

eveilleu Supporting Member

5. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

May I ask an obvious question? Why do you want a board if you don't know what you want? Are there certain sounds that you wasn't but can't get with your current gear?

I mean that in the nicest way, I just hate to see people waste money on stuff because they think they "need" it. There are thousands of pedals out there. Narrowing down what you're looking for will help greatly with suggestions, otherwise it's just going to be everyone recommending what they personally like.
  6. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Hello and welcome to TB.

Maybe start simple with just a tuner, compressor, overdrive/distortion, preamp and chorus/flanger.
  7. wmheilma

wmheilma

Yes. Start simple. Also be very picky. IMHO There really aren't any cheap pedals that do well for bass.

Also, when you turn them off they need to not screw up your tone. So look for true bipass as an important feature. I picked up a Loooper pedal to get the digital ones out of the way when not in use.
  8. Wlbravo

Wlbravo

I want the pedal board to get more of a tone without having to haul my amp everywhere. I want to have a bright and full tone and I can put a little bit of distortion for blues songs and I am just trying to get a idea of what type of pedals I would need like a compression pedal, a distortion, a bass driver, Etc
  9. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty Supporting Member

My current pedal board consists of (in this order after some help here from folks):

- Octave divider (either a Boss OC-3 (thinking about getting another OC-2) or a BYOC of the Mutron Octave divider
    - Fuzz / distortion / boost (these days more often a Keeley Fuzz Head - but also use a AnalogMan Peppermint Fuzz sometimes)
    - Envelope Filter (either a Moog MF-101 or a Mutron III)
    - Phase (MXR reissue Phase 90 script or a Mutron Phaser II)
    - Delay (EHX Memory Boy - but I will buy the mini-Moog Analog Delay when it comes out)

I use the Octaver to get synth like / organ like tones and for variety. The Fuzz/boost/distortion for songs like Manic Depression. The Envelope Filter for those Bootsy Collins space wah sounds or when we are playing any Stevie. The Phase works well all around - works well for reggae or anywhere where some extra texture is helpful. The delay is purely because in my current band we often take things out and get pretty free - the delay produces some just jaw dropping effects and rhythms.

To be honest, until this band I never needed more than a filter and a phase. But I love having the possibility of switching up my tone.

For reference, I use mainly Fender basses and a 1972 Ampeg SVT.
  10. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

You'd still need some sort of amplification. What would you be using? Going direct to the PA?
  11. Wlbravo

Wlbravo

Yes I'd be going through a PA
  12. Angel Switch

Angel Switch

In your situation, this is what I would use (not necessarily in this order):
    Compressor (I use the MXR Bass Compressor. Highly recommend it.)
    Overdrive (Fulltone OCD is my weapon of choice)
    Fuzz (Bass Big Muff. I own a Swollen Pickle, but it's a bit much for me nowadays.)
    Octave (Aguilar Octamizer is my favorite.)
    Filter Envelope (There are too many cool/unique sounding ones to name.)
    Preamp (Sansamp Bass Driver DI is super versatile and sounds amazing, IMO.)
    DI (see above)
  13. jimmybc91

jimmybc91

I would start with a good preamp pedal (tech 21 makes awesome stuff). Personally I really like the EBS Valvedrive (my current set-up). Gets me that tubey sound and with the vintage channel I can get a hair of dirt on top.

My "clean" chain (on a nano pedalboard):

SFX Microthumpinator (cleans up my signal)
    Polytune Noir
    Markbass Mini Booster (great quick eq for slapping tones)
    Empress Compressor (one of the most transparent compressors for me)
    EBS Valvedrive (use as a preamp, vintage mode for the bluesy old school vibe)

That's my set-up and I find it verstaile for what I use it for ("christian", blues, jazz, alternative).

Definitly start with a preamp, amp emulator if you are planning to just go direct. Sansamp BDDI is a good place to start IMO.
  14. Wlbravo

Wlbravo

That sounds pretty cool and the pedals aren't that expensive and they give good tone thank you!
  15. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

OP: If you're not in a real big hurry, MXR will be manufacturing their new M81 Bass Preamp/DI later this year - I'm hoping to replace my BDDI with one.
  16. Angel Switch

Angel Switch

No problem :) trust me, i've spent enough time trying to find good pedals on a budget to know what you're feeling XD
  17. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Well, as long as you're defiant...
  18. Geist

Geist Supporting Member

If your looking for a bluesy overdrive,I find the Marshall Guv'nor is a fantastic and way under hyped OD for bass. It's no longer in production, but a used one can be grabbed for about $50. The 4 band EQ can keep the pedal from loosing any bass and it gives a really nice grit tone. I sometimes wish it had a blend control, but after getting mine for under $50 I've got no complaints

I really like having a chorus sound - there are many great pedals at great price ranges for that, I've settled on the TC Electronic Corona, but also I can say that many of the EHX products (SEM, clone theory, neo small clone) are also great. Don't have experience with others. I can see a chorus being very useful in a worship setting or to subtly spice up long or open passages.

If your looking at a wah pedal I would grab a Weeping Demon as it's a fantastic pedal, costs $100 new, and can do a plethora of sounds. I since sold mine (to a violin player no less - talk about versatility) to grab a Gig-FX Sub-Wah because it is better for the sound I want (soooooo much bass), but the Demon is able to get everything from a good funky sound to that Cliff Burton screech. No other wah is nearly as versatile.