1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bass guitar prices

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bachh, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Bachh

Bachh

Hey there, my first thread!

Okay so i'm looking to upgrade from my beginner cort action, although i've only been playing for under year, but 8+ hours of practice each day will do you magic.

I'm considering either a MM or fender, possibly a warwick...
    But i don't have any shops near me (or anywhere that is) and i can't seem to find prices online for new and used basses.

Any suggestions or tips will be appreciated, thanks!

2. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Check the classifieds here on TB for used. For new, I like sweetwater.com.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Musiciansfriend.com will have MM and Fender I do not know about Warwick. You could always contact the Warwick rep on here and ask him to point you to the nearest dealer.

As far as used prices go, there is no guide. You can reference ebays sold listings (best bet) or check TB classifieds which can tell you asking prices, not selling prices. And in that case, some jerks delete their asking price after the item has sold. (Should be an offense in my opinion but I do not make the rules.) Speaking of rules, you could always just ask what a used bass is worth here on TB but it is only allowed if you are a supporting member, so you cannot start "what's it worth" threads now. (You can they just get deleted, and maybe an infraction)

4. jojoslap

jojoslap

An mim Fender P or Jazz bass are great for the money, you can find used ones in the $300-$400 range. There are lots of different Warwick models, so you would need to do some research and see what suits your style of music. I had a 5 string thumb bass, which I would not recommend for a beginner. Also Warwicks are a bit pricer than the mim Fenders. You really can't go wrong with a good Jazz Bass, they work for many styles of music, they are easy to play and a good one will keep you satisfied for years. Order from a company that has a good return policy so if you don't like it you can send it back and exchange it for something else.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Check out Guitar Center's used database.
    http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedGear/index.cfm

They only charge $25 for shipping/insurance and have a 30-day return policy. If you don't like it, you can take it back to any other GC store (assuming there's one near you). You won't get the shipping cost back, but $25 shouldn't break the bank. The only time I ever had to do that I just looked at it as the equivalent of a "rental fee".

If a Jazz bass works for you and your hands, I'd also like to recommend a Classic Vibe Jazz. In my experience, I found it to be easily as good as a Made-in-Mexico Fender at a lower cost (they usually go for about $250 on GC's used list). Mine was incredibly solid, both in sound and construction. Maybe I lucked out, but it also was pretty light compared to other Jazzes…only 8.75lbs.

If you're looking for something more "aggressive", I'd also recommend the Fender Blacktop Jazz, the one with the double split-coil pickups. I cannot stress enough how much of a beast this bass is! Snarly, growly and ballsy, but can still be mellowed out by rolling off the bridge pickup. Also, being a somewhat experimental MiM bass, they only go for $500 new or around $350-ish used.

7. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: y'know, rhythm AND blues! Supporting Member

Fender will get you in the door anywhere that you might happen to audition. The others, maybe. Used MIM Fender is great bang for the buck. Used MIJ or MIA Fender is even better. Precision or Jazz, you choose!

I should also mention that the Squier Classic Vibe basses are awesome for the price, especially used. You might get a little attitude from gear snobs, but plenty of pros gig them.

JMHO, YMMV!