1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bass Guitar Recommendations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mmx6, Dec 22, 2012.

1. mmx6

mmx6

Hi
    I recently discovered TalkBass forums and made an account

I am a wanna be bassist who will start beginner lessons right after the New Years.

I am a complete n00b and have no experience with bass guitar or any stringed instruments.

I am looking to purchase my first guitar brand new of course, used guitar might cause problems for a n00b like me.

Anyways I was looking at the Mexico Fender Roadworn 60s Jazz Bass and the Fender 60s Jazz Bass

Are these basses good for a beginner and last for a while?

How is the build quality and general quality of the 2 bass guitars I mentioned that I am considering to purchase new from Guitar Center?

Please let me know

Thanks.

2. mmx6

mmx6

Shameless bump

Anyone?

3. odarellmc

odarellmc Supporting Member

first thing, what are some of your favorite bands, find out what the bassist play and start from there..

4. el basso

el basso Supporting Member

welcome! both of those basses are excellent choices - they're versatile and good quality.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Trayster2

Trayster2 Supporting Member

Sounds like good choices, but you may want to start off with something that costs a little less until you decide whether or not the bass is the instrument for you. A Squier jazz or an Ibanez GSR200 are excellent choices for beginners and give a lot of bang for the buck.

7. TerraBass

TerraBass

I just picked up a Schecter custom p bass, thing sounds great, its my third schecter and by far my favorite. Bought it used from guitar center for 300 which i thought was a great deal and came with a skb hardshell case. If your playing rock/metal genres give this bass a look! Look at guitar centers online used basses, great deals

8. GM60466

GM60466

spend as much as you can on a bass and have it setup by a pro. That's the best way to start.

9. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Squier, Mexican made Fender, Ibanez and Schecters are all good choices for your first bass. I would recommend not spending a lot of money, maybe $200 to $500. Check out ads for used basses. You will get more for the money.

10. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

I believe those basses have vintage frets ... At least the '60s jazz does .

That means thin compared to modern basses which tend to have medium or medium jumbo . I believe those also have 7.25" neck radius as well ,at least the '60s does .

Those items may not matter but something to consider .

Some say vintage frets are harder to play ,some don't .
    Some say a neck radius that's curved is easier some say flatter .

I have a '60s and its a great bass but is a tad tricky to setup due to the vintage truss adjustment and the radius makes it a little harder as well . String to string volume balance is hard to dial in as well.

I'm not saying don't buy it but plan on paying a pro ,and only a pro, to set it up if it doesn't feel or sound right to you. After you learn yourself you can make those tweaks ...

I would advise going to GC or another store and handle as many basses as you can . Don't be shy ,play and fiddle unplugged if need be . No one is born playing like a pro and most salesman understand that .

go to a store if you can....

11. hrodbert696

hrodbert696

The truth is there really isn't such a thing as a "beginner's" bass. The more expensive basses are actually generally easier to play than cheap ones. We talk about cheap basses as for "beginners" because it's usually not a good idea to blow a lot of money on an instrument when you may not stick with it, or may decide after you've spent a year learning that your actual "dream bass" is very different than what you have. As a beginner you probably have very little idea what you prefer in fretboard radius, scale length, single-coil pickups or humbuckers, etc. etc.

Anyway, yes, a Fender 60s Jazz would be a great bass. I wouldn't bother with the "road worn" over the regular one; you're paying an extra $300 to have it "relic'd," meaning to have it beaten up at the factory to make it look older than it really is. Otherwise they're pretty much identical.

But you could save $300 more and get a Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe Squier which would be pretty much as good, certainly to learn on, and then you'll have that much more saved for an amplifier or for your dream bass once you've had a chance to learn more about your preferences.

12. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

I also recommend a less expensive option. But not because your choices aren't good instruments. I suggest taking some of the savings and spending on a good set up so that your less expensive instrument plays like a much more expensive one. Then put the rest of the money toward a better amplifier, for when you want to play along with other musicians.

13. fivestringgecko

fivestringgecko Supporting Member

I'm fortunate to have owned and played some very nice basses (the very first bass I ever played was a Warwick Dolphin :eek: that belonged to my bass mentor), and you know what... the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V and Affinity Jazz V are both currently high up on my GAS list. Great basses for the money, the ones I've tried have played well and sounded quite good. I'm almost certain the VM will be my next bass.

mmx6, welcome to Talkbass! Lots of valuable information and good people here.

5sg.

14. mcglyph

mcglyph

^^^^

Welcome to the land of bassers. People who think you should buy a cheaper bass just cause you are starting do not think like me. Get the absolute best bass you can. I started on a five string, because I knew I was headed that way regardless, so why mess around? Taming and playing that big old, "B", is something to love! Spend wisely, which for me meant buy a Carvin. Move into your bass playing looking forward, spend very little time thinking (or worse planning)for your unsuccess.

15. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz
    The timeless designs of P or J bass would never be a bad choice. My suggestion is if you have a friend that is a player, have them help you select an instrument without issues.

If you buy online, make sure you can return without restocking fees and have your new teacher examine the instrument.

The road worn instruments get consistently positive reviews and I think you would be starting out with an instrument that could last into a pro career if you were devote yourself. In other words, you would be buying a pro quality instrument.

16. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

In my experience the quality level of Fender MIM basses is quite good and if there should be a problem Fender will take care of it, plus GC has an excellent return policy if you take good care of the guitar and it comes to that. Those would be fine basses for a beginner. You could spend less, you could spend more, you could look at a hundred other brands before deciding, but if you like those two and they fit your budget then go with the one that speaks to you the most and you will be fine.

Ken

17. hrodbert696

hrodbert696

A lot depends on the OP's actual financial situation and what he really can afford, which he hasn't told us and is none of our business unless he cares to share it. It's not a matter of what bass is better as where his money is best spent at his current level of knowledge. I agree (and said) that the pricier basses are easier to play than the cheaper ones and therefore would be better for beginners to learn on - if they can afford them. There's no reason not to learn on a Sadowsky or a Fodera if you can afford the $5000.

But if he's an average joe like most of us and $1000 is not pocket change for him, I think it's good to consider if he really needs to spend $1000 or can get the same thing for $700 (like getting the non-relic Fender) or for that matter a $350 Squier that he will not, at his level of knowledge, be able to feel or hear the difference in from the $700 Fender. I was about a year along playing and on my third bass before I fully realized what I do and don't like in a neck. I've never spent more than $800 on a bass and each one is still a real strain on the wallet for me. Meanwhile there's amps to consider and he may start getting into effects; having $300 or $600 in savings from the bass purchase can go a long way, if he has to mind his budget.

18. fivestringgecko

I know it's not quite what this thread is about, but this is a good point. I share the view of others around Talkbass that you don't want to cheap out on an amp. An inexpensive bass will sound better through a nicer amp, but a $5k Fodera will still sound like crap through a cheap amp.

Also, start with a multi-effects pedal if you're new to the game. Great bang for your buck and you'll get a sense of what you like and don't like before you start shelling out $$$ for individual effects.

5sg.

19. mmx6

mmx6

Thanks for the replies everyone.

The truth is the I got a 40% off anything from GuitarCenter from one of the higher up from the corporate office due to a complain I made for a Yamaha Snare drum.

So I could get the Fender 60s Jazz Bass I listed for around $400 rather than $700 brand new from GC online

I could also get the Squier Classic Vibe for 40% off at around $140 brand new from GC online.

Also, rather than buying an amp speaker system, I plan to just get an amVOX to use with either my Q701s or SRH840s or my K550s. Is the amVOX a good sounding headphone amp?

Also when people recommend me a pro setup for my new bass when it comes in.
    Does pro setup cost money?
    Is pro setup necessary to start playing?

I thought bass, guitars comes fresh out if the box tuned and ready to play, is this true?

Sorry for a load of questions, my knowledge is quite limited about basses and guitars.

Let me know, thanks.

20. fivestringgecko

I've never had experience with the Vox, so no help there...

On setups, most are set up before they leave the factory, but there are a variety of factors that alter the action/playability by the time it gets to the shop. Also, Guitar Center is generally notorious for lack of bass love, and 95% of the basses in their showrooms (around here anyway) have a very high action, IMO.Ii've seen more than a few that I've considered pretty much unplayable. When you buy a bass, you should be able to ask them to do a setup on it before you actually take it home.

5sg.

21. mmx6

mmx6

I am not buying from GuitarCenter's showroom, I am buying it brand new in box shipped from GuitarCenter Warehouse in Louisville

I wonder if GC setup is what you guys call a "pro" setup.

From my experience with drums, a lot of the demo snare drums sounds pretty bad and not tuned well and not centered snare wires. I challenged a guy in the past I told him to tune it, he tune it. I retuned the snare and even he admits it sounded better.

Can I really "trust" GuitarCenter's bass guitar employees to setup my bass when I receive it in mail?

Or am I better off playing and learning it out of the box?

Also my budget is around $600 for the bass

I am not sure if at the moment I need a speaker amp. I am not going to be performing anytime soon, just practicing basic chords, so a cheap headphone amp should do it for me at this point in time.