1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

bass guitar secrets stuff

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by 1dreday, Feb 7, 2014.

1. 1dreday

1dreday Supporting Member

has anyone tried http://www.bassguitarsecrets.com/
    i'm thinking of ordering and i was wondering if anyones tried to and could offer a review, of the study guide ect.
  2. White Beard

White Beard

I have not tried this method, nor would I recommend it. Anything that promises to reveal "secrets," or "tricks" of learning an art, is not to be trusted. There are no "secrets" or "tricks", just learning. Those terms denote that there is some knowledge being withheld from the public. There is not.

Playing bass is not a magic show.

I would learn guitar from Esteban before I paid money for this.
  3. fearceol

fearceol

+1.

OP if you wish to invest in a good bass course then get the "Teach Me Bass Guitar" DVD set. It contains no secrets, just great lessons. ;)

http://www.teachmebassguitar.com/?gclid=CMTn_oyovLwCFaWE2wodrFwAjg

If that seems too expensive the "Complete Bass Method" is a great option.

http://www.amazon.com/Leonard-Bass-Method-Easy-Use/dp/0793563836
  4. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

The secret is inside of your own brain, how you get there is another secret only you can reveal. For more information, please send $5.00 to p.o. box 23666, Dobbstown, LA 66623
    f n o r d !
  5. fearceol

fearceol

Is Pay Pal OK ? :D :p
  6. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

:cool: fnordlyone ask for the money right up front. Anytime a site scrolls through 87 pages before you see a price -- look out.

7. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

There's an old adage that states 'if it looks too good to be true, it probably is'.
  8. lyla1953

lyla1953 Supporting Member

9. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

Yeah, secrets is just a fancy word for knowledge, it does imply witheld knowledge but in this case I believe it is a buzz word to sell stuff. It likely won't show you anything you couldn't get from somewhere else (like real lessons or professional music courses)
  10. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

There are a few secrets that I'm not at liberty to talk about but after a few pitchers of mead I may loosen my tongue.
  11. kevteop

kevteop

The format of that web page has been used to hawk all manner of shoddy ****, and this has all the classic hallmarks: No mention anywhere of what this product consists of; a lot of talk about how amazed you will be; and how amazed you probably already are; and how amazing it's going to get when he offers you a discount after you've read half a dozen glowing testimonials from barely-realistic customers; text in red; text in bold; text underlined; red bold underlined text, it's got it all.

I suppose it must work on some morons sometimes or they wouldn't still be doing it.
  12. fearceol

fearceol

Agreed. You cant beat knee to knee lessons with a real live teacher. ;) I assumed the OP wanted to learn alone.
  13. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

I never trust anything that purports to reveal so-called secrets. Why? Because I already know the secrets. Here they are:

A. You gotta work at it, no substitutes are there for putting in time.
    B. You gotta go about it in a logical fashion, build on the basics (even if you think you already know it all and playing simple stuff is "boring", it's the building blocks for the more advanced stuff.
    C. Music is music, you don't need specific theory lessons for rock, jazz, etc. A major third is a major third, a C chord is still C E G, and the iv chord of Bb is always FMaj7.
    D. Technique is a small part of learning music. Know where to put your fingers for a gazillion different scales and modes is pointless drivel if you don't know the reasons for how the scales become music (I'm talking to you, Bass Grimore!)
    E. Knowing how to determine for yourself the notes in any four-note chord (i.e. all Major 7, minor 7, dominant 7, minor 7 b5, and diminished 7 chord) is much more useful than memorizing the Gb Lydian dominant scale.
    F. An hour playing with real people is better than four hours playing by yourself.
    G. An hour on stage is better than a week in the rehearsal basement
    H. Life is too short to waste any on cheap beer or bad drummers.

All you gotta do to pay for these secrets is contribute to TB.

John
  14. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

I quick torrent search, and I was able to find the ebook, albeit without the CDs. I don't. Or ally advocate piracy, but as this course smacks of an overpriced scam I don't feel quite so bad.

There is nothing in the lessons that can't be learnt elsewhere. It's just music theory aimed at bass players and showing how to unlock the fretboard and apply harmonic understanding to your playing.
  15. scottie65

scottie65

I thought that looked familiar. I did an online search a couple years ago and this site was listed as the second best site for learning bass after Roy Vogt's Teach Me Bass Guitar program. I am not sure but when the search was done it was an independent company doing the survey. I have no idea how indepth the study was but noticed a 365 day money back guarantee. I was a little concerned with all the free give aways and I am not sure but I think I tried to contact them with no success and that is when I figured it was too good to be true. I have no idea who Alex Sampson is and felt I better stay away from this one. I would say go with Roy Vogt's program if you are about to spend money. His program seems real and it sounds like a lot of guys have used his program and it works. Plus there is a guarantee with it also.
  16. GastonD

GastonD

There was one point when he got me thinking into ordering some of his stuff. Namely, he had organized a workshop/clinic type of event with Janek Gwizdala and then offered (maybe he still does) it as a set of videos. The contents sounded good, even if his marketing was not very conducive to exact conclusions in that regard.

Maybe we should ask Janek in his "room" on this forum?