Bass Guitarists Who Play All/Mostly Traditional Jazz - need suggestions

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by deckard, Aug 29, 2012.

1. deckard

deckard

Looking for names of players who play electric bass guitar most-or-all of the time and play mostly-or-strictly *traditional* jazz.

Not guys who play mostly/all fusion, and not guys who play mostly upright but double on bass guitar occasionally.

CD suggestions for same most welcome, too.

Todd Johnson comes immediately to mind, of course - as does the Brian Melvin Trio CD "Standards Zone" w. Jaco.

Make sense?

Thanks!!!
  2. tkozal

tkozal

Steve Swallow
    Jerome Harris
    Kermit Driscoll
    Bob Cranshaw

more will come to mind late im sure

(these are not all standards only players though, but modern players I guess you would call them)
  3. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

monk montgomery
  4. ClayDotJ

ClayDotJ Supporting Member

Melvin Davis
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Charles Ables
  7. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Creator of: iGigBook, iGigBook Mobile, iGigBook Index, iGigBook Pager
    John Lee - Dizzy Gillespie All Stars
  8. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

John Lee was a major fusion guy back in the day, fwiw.
  9. dougjwray

dougjwray

Tom Warrington, with Buddy Rich and others.

10. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Tom Warrington was my arranging teacher at Berklee! He told some pretty funny stories about playing with Buddy Rich...mostly ones which confirmed Buddy's apochryphal reputation.
  11. dougjwray

dougjwray

He was also my arranging teacher at Berklee. When were you there? (I was there fall '78 & spring '79.) In October or so, I went to his class one day, and we students were informed that he'd left to go on the road with Buddy. His replacement also left abruptly for the road. The third guy made it to the end. :rolleyes:
    I remember Tom to be a very nice, humble guy who was a phenomenal sightreader (naturally).
  12. Rutherford_Fan

Rutherford_Fan

I would like to see this list too. I am also one of those who plays straight-ahead jazz with an electric bass. My band consists of me on the electric bass, a drummer, an electric guitarist, and usually a guest on piano. I think electric sounds great in straight-ahead jazz although it isn't the "tradition".

So far, my band has gotten nothing but compliments from guys in their 60s and 70s who were in the straight-ahead scene back in the 60s- 80s.

So this list should be fun. Perhaps I will upload my band's live performances some time and post them here in this thread.
  13. tkozal

tkozal

I have been playing electric in a straight ahead jazz situation, with a huge dose of Bossa and Latin tunes. (Piano/Flute/Vocals/Drums/Me) I started with my NS Design CRM4 EUB, but a continuing shoulder problem has stopped that for now. (I used to ride mountain bikes down downhill ski runs when I was a youth)

I have been trying to find the right sound, focusing mostly on flats (groundwounds also) and a Fender Jazz (Jaco fretless or Am Dlx J), although I would love to try a Rob Allen. Mostly fretless, although my Koa Carvin strung E-C does see some use for its warmer tone. (From my years of Steve Swallow worship)
  14. Rutherford_Fan

Rutherford_Fan

I find that my modified MIM Fender Jazz (fretted) works great. I have gotten many compliments from seasoned guys in the local scene. What I did was left the Fender preamp in it but swapped the P-Ups out for EMG J's. Very very smooth but cuts through like butter at even very low volumes. Great definition in the low mids.
  15. wingmanborge

wingmanborge

Ronan Guilfoyle
  16. wingmanborge

wingmanborge

And myself btw