Bass head for SWR 6x10?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by fenderbass70, Sep 7, 2013.

1. fenderbass70

fenderbass70

I have 3 used heads that Im looking at to pair with my 4ohm Goliath SR IV 6x10 cab. Similar power at different prices.

Ampeg SVT-7 pro-$500ish(Rev. C)
    GK 1001RBII- $400
    Carvin B1500- $300

Using in a loud hard rock/metal band(Ozzy,GnR,Scorpions type stuff) inside and outside PA supported shows. Just wondering what anyone thinks about saving $,reliability,ass kicking ect... These fit my budget of $500 and are localish(in state). Hard to demo them with my cab though. Somone reccomended a 750X also in the same price range. I just want to be done with putting this together soon and have a pro rock rig. Thanks so much!
  2. sanderic

sanderic

3. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Had the 1001RB-II with a 6x10 Goliath at one point
    It was easily the most overwhelming rig I've owned.
    Even more so than a400+ into a RR 2x15 I had right before the GK/SWR rig
    Actually....they were comparable volume wise....different tones of course
  4. shoot-r

shoot-r

GK heads usually sound pretty good through almost any cabinet you match them up with, IMHO.....especially with SWR's Goliath Sr. cabinet.

GK head and a SWR cab, one of my favorite combinations!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

I used to play a 700rb-II into a Goliath Sr, and they worked really well together - the 1001rb-II is definitely a great choice here...

Personally, I wouldn't touch the SVT-7Pro OR PF-500 used - they both have a poor track record regarding reliability, and Ampeg won't warranty them if bought used...

The Carvin is highly thought of, but I have no direct experience with it - although I have to say that I've been underwhelmed with the sound of any Carvin amps or cabs I've ever played - they sound kinda "meh" to me...

- georgestrings
  7. Tunaman

Tunaman Supporting Member

Had the GK 1001RB with the SWR 610. Just awesome straight up.
  8. fenderbass70

fenderbass70

Yep, I have a 700RBII Ive been using. Sounds great, just need a little more headroom with the 1000wt cab. Then Ill leave the 700 at the rehearsal space with my parked Peavey tvx410 cab and take it with me as a backup for shows. I dont think the other heads are any louder despite being 1000 watts(to my ears anyway) plus I kinda dont want to gamble when I know GKs are reliable. GKs must be louder than they rate them or something becouse Ive had several heads(400rb,800rb) that were quite a bit louder than other brands heads rated at the same or more watts.That was always thru good efficiant cabs though.

Good. I just didnt wanna miss somthing by going with the GK. Save some bread too as 1001s are always around used for around $400 or less.
  9. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

GKs r the most conservatively rated (wattage) amps made. Watts to volume....I don't think they can b beat. Tone?....yeah other amps do sound better, completely dry....no pedals....I prefer ampeg but I run a tube emulator through a GK ....that with judicious use of GK Boost?.....awesome.
  10. fenderbass70

fenderbass70

What pedal(s) do you use with the GK? And do you run the output of the pedal into the insturment input or the effects loop on the amp head?
  11. jarrod cunningham

jarrod cunningham

Disclosures:
    spector basses
    GK or carvin , can't go wrong with either . I feel like the GK will have a warmer preamp .
  12. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Grab the Carvin quick for that price!! Then keep it for good because they're a hot commodity. Bass Gear mag's review says it all, one of the best amps made and THE most powerful amp they ever tested.
  13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

If a B1500 is the most powerful amp they ever tested, it says more about them than it does the amp.
  14. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

WRONG. Tested out over 1700w of LEGIT power. They are the most thorough publication when it comes to testing amplifiers. I don't care if you have a problem with the new drivers, the B1500 head is a beast. Enough power to blow your SVT's 8 speakers into the crowd.

:bassist:
  15. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

I always run pedals in front of GK amps. I find I have more volume & tone control that way rather than the fx loop. I've found this IMO to b true for the 1001RB-II, MB500 & most recently the Goldline 500 (seriously underrated GK import amp).
    I run bass-tuner-limiter-home brew 3-band fender tone stack preamp-behringer BDI21-compressor (as a volume control). Sounds like overkill but I can get close to Frank Bello's finger style tone.
  16. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Well, Carvin's specs say 1250w @ 4 ohms. So I'll be generous and say it may put out 1000 watts @ 4 ohms. Pretty sure my fridge will be fine. ;)
  17. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Nevertheless, I think $300 is a great price for one.
  18. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    I'm gonna say one name. SUNN 1200S........Insane in my opinion I know its not listed Im just a SUNN freak. Esp Colisuim 300 ss....
  19. fenderbass70

fenderbass70

Yep. Carvin B1500
    Carvin BR810 cab
    $600 or $300 ea. Quad city musical insturments for sale on Facebook. Might take slightly less. Didnt say "FIRM".
  20. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

Definitely pass on that cab bro.
  21. DrewFolkadelics

DrewFolkadelics

I've used the 400RB with an Ampeg fridge before and it was freakin' awesome. I'd imagine it'd also be great with the SWR 6x10. I happen to have one for sale in the classifieds but I promise this isn't a plug for that. If you have the opportunity to play a 400RB or 800RB through it you may never turn back!