1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass head...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sayso, Jan 22, 2013.

1. sayso

sayso

Ok. Since my head was just stolen, I need a new head to power my 600 watt 8 ohm mesa boogie 2x12 cabinet. My money is low at the moment so I have to go the used route to get something powerful enough. Ive narrowed it down to two choices. Let me know what you guys think.

a used Hartke LH500 500watts at 4 ohms for $200

or

a used Acoustic B600HB 600watts at 4 ohms for $250

any ideas how reliable either of these are, or if they are a good pairing for my new cab? Thanks yall.
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I would personally get the Hartke, I don't have much experience with either but you will find more Hartke lovers than Acoustic (GC Acoustic not real Acoustic, people love them). The Hartke's I have played I have really enjoyed, I would definitely consider them if buying another amp. I probably would have gotten one when I replaced my SVT a while back but my local Hartke dealer shut down. Larry is also amazing in the customer support department from what I hear, I am pretty sure he is on TB.

Either amp can handle your cab, you were smart and got 8 ohm instead of 4 so you can add another cab to either head. As far as a good tonal pairing, that is an opinion so it is up to you in that regards.
  3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

From those two the LH500 by a land slide. Make sure it works properly of course.
  4. craig.p

craig.p

Another vote for the Hartke but make sure you understand how the tone controls work or else the amp will frustrate you. Study the manual.