1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass Help Please!!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Mrsimplesticks, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Mrsimplesticks

Mrsimplesticks

alright, so i am 14 and i play the drummer for a two piece band with my brother. He sings and plays guitar. we needed a bassist so i decided to pick up bass. I have been playing for a month. iI have baselines in my head, but i have a problem figuring out how to play them on my bass. Can you guys give me some advice?
  2. prd004

prd004

I would start by learning the names of the notes on your fretboard, it's not hard there are only twelve of them and they repeat the same pattern all over the neck.

Then I would learn the major scale. This is pretty much the building block for all music and again it's really easy!

Once you have those down you'll start to know which notes go with witch chord and those bass lines in your head will be easier to figure out.

Good luck, hope this helps
  3. prd004

prd004

Oh, and take a few professional lessons!

Even if you can't continue to take them, a few will help you start off with proper technique. It's easier to learn correctly than to try and change bad habits later.
  4. levonrocks

levonrocks

Practicing scales and simple melodies is very helpful for developing an ear. When i hear a bass line in my head, I try to think about other bass patterns that sound similar to the one in my head. I can usually figure it out just by relating back to other patterns and scales that I am already familiar with.

Also, I suggest practicing tetra chords. They are actually very easy, and they are very useful when you are playing with others. Start with the tetra chords that come from the basic major and minor scales.

Lastly, practice whenever you get a chance. Play what comes naturally, and don't force a bass line to fit into a song if its not meant to be.

I hope that this advice is helpful, and that you will enjoy playing the bass. Don't get stressed about learning complicated stuff. Just have fun and let the music come naturally.
  5. Jason Wilson

Jason Wilson

All really good advise above.
    I'd also state, start with basic music, don't try to play along, learn anything too complicated to start with (baby steps).
    Learning even some basic blues bass lines, even if you don't want to play blues, may help you tune your ear in. I only suggest this as the lines are usually fairly simple. But if not blues, something that hasn't got a really tricky bass line, start simple & build up.

Also, quite helpful to sing along with the lines you play & or scales. THis can help tune your ear into what you are playing. So when you hear something in your head, you may have a better idea of what scale/key pattern it could be, or at least close to it.

Again, hope this helps
  6. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

If you can hear bass lines in your head you are one of the lucky ones. I'll give you a major scale box pattern. Play a note and find it in the box. When you do write down the scale degree it was. Go to the next note, find it within the box and write down what scale degree this one is. After you get all the notes to your bass line check it out with some of the generic bass lines I've listed below and see what it fits with - or how you could use it in a song. Now back to some basic fundamentals...........

The book, Bass Guitar for Dummies will have all the how to stuff you need, i.e. how to hold it, how to tune it, how to make sound come from it, etc. Then www.studybass.com is perhaps the best free lesson site for beginners out there. Of course IMO.

The major scale box pattern I've listed below will be a friend. Yes to an instructor sitting knee to knee with you will save you a bunch of time.

What your brother does on his 6 string guitar do the same with your bass, except we do not strum, we play the chord's notes one note at a time - augmenting what he is doing. Get some fake chord sheet music and play from it the same way he is playing from it on his rhythm guitar, but, with the bass play chord tones, notes of the chord, one note at a time - keeping the beat as you did on the drums. When I play bass with a drummer I lock in with the drummer's kick drum beat. See if that throws some lite on how you will now play your bass. Let him give you a quick lesson on what he is doing with his 6 string and how he plays from fake chord sheet music.

Mess around with the following and see what you can do with it. This video put everything into focus for me. Generic groove. Simple, but, effective.

That's enough stuff to keep you busy for 6 months.
    Bass guitar for dummies. www.studybass.com make friends with the major scale box and ask questions here.
  7. Mrsimplesticks

Mrsimplesticks

thanks a lot for all the advice!! this will help a lot!
  8. Mrsimplesticks

Mrsimplesticks

thanks a lot for all the advice!!! This will help a lot!