Bass ID (Greco)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by heb9_28, Nov 26, 2012.

1. heb9_28

heb9_28

Hey all, another bass ID thread.

Here's a semi-hollow Greco. Unfortunately this is the only picture I have of the bass (and the only reference point I have, what you see is what you get. I don't know what -if anything- else is stamped anywhere). It's a bolt on neck.

[​IMG]

Internet searches have availed me nothing. The main thing throwing me off is the three way switch, most of the Greco's I'm coming across have the two switch "on/off" sliders on the lower horn. Also, a lot of the other vintage semi-hollows I'm seeing have the rounded horns, not the sharp ones like this. Anyone have any idea about what model/year bass this is?

Thanks!!

2. heb9_28

heb9_28

Also my other question would be about the tailpiece. Most Greco's have a weird trapeze lookin' thing.

3. heb9_28

heb9_28

Bumpin' it up for the evening TBers.

4. heb9_28

heb9_28

Anybody? Don't we have some vintage Japan guys floating around here?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Immigrant

Immigrant

Not much Greco speak going on here.

I looked for a few minutes yesterday, Googling stuff like Fujigen, Fujigen Gakki, etc, and gave up.

That sure is a cool looking instrument. Good luck with your info quest!

7. cdef

cdef

Can't help much..., but based on the pickups I'd date it to maybe 1969, just before Kanda Shokai moved to Matsumoku as subcontractor for Greco (which they then built up to 1975, more or less, until Fujigen took over). This one might still have been built by Teisco craftsmen under the Kawai umbrella, in that last phase. So if the neck plate has a rounded lower edge and (possibly) 5 screws, this would be my conclusion. Grecos of the late '60s were imported into the US first by Avnet, then by Kustom..

OTOH, if the neck plate says "Steel Reinforced Neck", it's likely to have been made by Matsumoku already. The body and hs are consistent with some other Matsumoku models of that period, branded Aria Diamond, Bruno, Conrad, Encore, Lyle, etc.

8. Immigrant

Immigrant

9. heb9_28

heb9_28

Great info. Thanks!

So the big tell would be the neck plate?