1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass in IEMs split?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Scottkarch, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Hi.

My band is continuing to do our best to reduce stage volume and use IEMs. Only one monitor mix right now until I get my own transmitter. We are putting much of the bass through the PA now and a bit in the monitor mix.

I find that if we have much it bass in thei mix it kind of overdrives ir takes over the monitor mix.

I was wondering if anyone splits their signal and uses one full range channel for FOH and the second channel with bass cut for IEM. I want to hear the notes to make sure I'm not messing up but don't need or want the low end which muddies up the mix.
  2. Codger

Codger Bradley Baker Supporting Member

Have you considered ducking the bass in the monitors? Triggered off of the vocal buss it would reduce the volume of bass in the monitors when there was singing present.
  3. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Thanks for the idea. Had to look up ducking. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ducking. Interesting. I'll have to see if our PA has the right sends and returns to be able to use a unit... Or if the PA has it built in. That would help a lot.

I'm guessing for the cost of the hardware I could get my own transmitter for my IEM mix and not worry as much about the level. Still consderng taking 2 PA channels, and cutting the low end on the one I use for my IEM.
  4. TimmyP

TimmyP

Sounds like there's too much low end in the bass feed to the monitor mix - or not nearly enough midrange, and the volume level is cranked up to compensate.

Or you just have a gain structure problem.
  5. musicman7722

musicman7722 Supporting Member

Are you all wired or wireless? If wired you could turn that one mix into a dedicated mix with a small mixer or rolls 350?. Then you can turn down the bass in the overall mix and add more me bass for you.
  6. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

We are all wireless and share the same mix. Only have one transmitter. The mixer supports 4 aux/monitor mixes.

Talked again with a profession musician. Son of a friend that just finished a 5 month European your. They run 2 channels on their mixer for the bass. 1 full frequency for the FOH mix. And one channel where they cut the lows way back to put into their IEM mixes so they don't muddy up or overdrive the IEM speakers. He says that the miss and high are bumped higher then normal so you can hear the bass note well, not for a nice accurate tone.

My amp has 1 DI out. He says to use that for the FOH channel and I have a passive direct box that he says to use for the mid/high mix for IEM. We have practice today. May try that route.

Of course it would be even easier if I just bought my own transmitter and had my own bass player IEM mix. :) All about the money there.
  7. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

What routing are you using from mixer to IEM?

You could do this splitting at the mixer (take a direct out from the bass's mixer channel to a 2nd mixer channel, which is sent only to IEMs and eq'ed specifically for IEM), or just put a high-pass filter on the aux or sub out that feeds your IEM transmitter.
  8. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Instruments into mixer
    Mon1/aux1 mixed for IEM.
    Aux1 mono output to transmitter
    All of us on the same transmitter/channel.

Hmmmm Transmitter is stereo, aux1/aux2 are on the same knob. ( left is aux1 only. Right is aux2 only middle is both ). If I made a custom adapter for all of us for our IEM receivers... I could have left channel ( aux1 )go to left and right headphone earbuds for the others. And I'd have and adapter for me that puts only the right channel ( aux2 ) get put into both my left and right earbuds.

So one stereo output and transmitter would
  9. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

.... Whoops hit send.

Stereo output would be used as dual mono outputs. With the band sharing the left channel and me and the drummer getting the right channel by making a custom pigtail adapter to force left or right channels into both ears. Hmm. Might be able to even include a tiny L/R switch for the pigtail.

Would be cheaper than me buying my own transmitter. I wonder if that would actually work.
  10. musicman7722

If it were me I would go to a wired version and get my own mix. That is how I started out. Small mixer with my bass in channel 2 an aux mix from our FOH. Eventually i got a small shure ps200? then on to a sennheiser E300? Sounds great now
  11. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Interesting. I'm not wireless with my bass. I have a small peavey 6 channel
    Mixer and may be able to do that. Hmmm. Think I'll try.

Thanks.
  12. musicman7722

That is pure gold then you can have your own private Idaho and the band can move your needs out of the mix. You will be a hero as well as totally happy.
  13. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

LOL and who doesn't want to be a hero. I grew up listening to yes and rush and am really used to bass being pretty high in the mix. No thumpy flats for me. "Not that there's anything wrong with that"