1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass/Instrument shop in New Orleans?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ModuMan, Dec 22, 2013.

1. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

I will be in New Orleans this week and I wanted to ask if anyone has a favorite shop there?

Also, I won't have a car so just looking for something within the city.

Thanks!
  2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

3. rivergoblin

rivergoblin

its hard to believe but there isn't many (good) music shops in Nola The place mentioned above moved across the river, not sure it would be worth a visit. there is a quality bass store outside baton rouge but thats too far. of course..guitar center is here
  4. adivin

adivin Supporting Member

Sad, but true.
  5. ModuMan

That is indeed surprising! I checked out the site and it says "walking distance from the French Quarter" but it seems like that includes swimming across the Mississippi River?

I was hoping there might be some more "local" places. We've got a Guitar Center or three here in CT.:meh:
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It's not really too far to drive to The Perfect Bass in Baton Rouge. It'd be worth it - if the OP had a car.
  7. RandyMolson

RandyMolson

There is a public transit (bus) shuttle between NOLA and BR a few times a day, in case there are a few other BR things that you want to combine into a day.
  8. fourstringgirl

fourstringgirl

The rest of my band lives in and around the Metairie/Kenner area (north/northwest of the city) and they all use C&M Music. Never been there myself but I'd like to check it out based on their positive opinions.

I live in Gulfport, MS so other than GC and C&M I don't have clue as to what else is there.
  9. fenwickbacker

fenwickbacker

There is a ferry across the river from downtown to Algiers Point, so may not be as hard to reach as it seems.

Agree on C&M - really cool people, but haven't been in awhile to know their stock.

No dedicated bass shop I know of - I lost track of a luthier that worked many basses and double basses, Sal Giardina.

Enjoy your stay here - catch some live local music. Check out WWOZ 90.7FM or online for listings and info.
  10. adivin

adivin Supporting Member

Check out WTUL 91.5. (Tulane)

C&M has Rickenbacker, Fender, and a few others.

Todd's Mucic Express has G&L and Reverend and some nice used basses on consignment.

Perfect Bass in Baton Rouge has Music Man and a wide selection of amps and cabs in stock.

New Orleans Music Exchange on Magazine St is also worth checking out.
  11. ModuMan

Cool, thanks for the suggestions and good to know about the ferry!