1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass lessons

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by scarab, Dec 2, 2012.

1. scarab

scarab

hey, i'm only 15 and i'm gonna start giving bass lessons to some other dudes my age, never done this before and have no idea if i can pull it off... any tips? :help:
  2. camello

camello

Theory
    Scales
    influencial research
  3. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
  4. Ubersheist

Ubersheist

Also, remember that most kids your age don't know anything about music... Start with the basics of beats, bars, and what "music" is, not just "bass guitar" stuff.
  5. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

I would suggest you get one of your early "how to play books" and use that as your lesson plan. Yes you need a lesson plan for each lesson you give. In fact tell him to purchase (or you provide) that book as that is going to be the text book used in your lessons. Home work assignments - piece of cake read pages 26 to 30 and do the exercise on page 25.

Start on page one and you and the student proceed from page one. Yes you can skip pages if the student is ready to skip those pages. He/she has to learn how to hold it, tune it, mute it, make sound with something, thumb, fingers, pick...... The how to books will help you remember all the fundamentals you have to give them.

Have fun.
  6. fearceol

fearceol

Make sure that you are able to convey information in an easy to understand way.

Knowing something is one thing, teaching it, is a different thing altogether.
  7. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Record your lessons so you can identify weaknesses or bad explanations
  8. KrisHayes

KrisHayes

Bingo. It's cliche, but the students help you make discoveries as well.