1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass, Mid & Treble pot wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Aislinn, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Aislinn

Aislinn

I saw a video demo on a Fender American Deluxe Dimension Bass with HH pups. It had bass, mid and treble controls as well as a 5-way switch.

I'm kind of new to guitar electronics so I was wondering how you would wire the pots in this situation? Is it just a matter of soldering in different caps?

If anyone has a wiring diagram or knows where to find one, please share.
  2. Lownote38

Lownote38

The Dimension is an Active bass, so there's a pre-amp in there. The EQ is active which enables it to be split into low/mid/high knobs. Every pre-amp design is different, so there isn't really one way to wire a bass that way.
  3. line6man

line6man

As stated, that bass has a preamp.

Trying to do it passively is rather problematic. Firstly, you can only cut frequencies, rather than boost. Second, there tends to be volume drops and weird behavior when using the controls.

Treble cuts are typically done with standard tone control wiring.

Bass cuts are typically done by placing a capacitor in series with the signal path, and using a pot to vary the resistance across the capacitor. Low frequencies are blocked by the capacitor, but the pot allows you to add them back, at an adjustable level.

Mid cuts are typically done in the same fashion as standard tone controls, but there is an inductor added in series with the capacitor, to block high frequencies from being able to shunt to ground. This, combined with the capacitor that blocks low frequencies, allows only a certain window of frequencies to be shunted to ground.
  4. Aislinn

Aislinn

When I was watching the demo, the guy showed the back of the bass for a second. I thought I saw a battery box cover. But when he played it, I didn't hear the amplified sounds I've heard on other active pickups. So I thought maybe that little black cover I saw might have been a wiring access panel.

Thanks for the explanations. Much appreciated!
  5. rojo412

rojo412 You're entering a world of bass... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    It's an active bass. There are passive pickups going into an active preamp.
  6. line6man

line6man

Being active or passive has nothing to do with tonality. There is no inherent difference.
  7. Lownote38

Lownote38

It has a lot to do with the wiring and tone controls, though. That's what the original post was about.