1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass Mods K6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tre63, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Tre63

Tre63 Supporting Member

I have been looking at the Bass Mods k6 online for some time now. It looks like a great bass and I have read a few positive reviews.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Should I go for a K6 or just continue to save and buy a Warwick Thumb6?

I have a 90's Fretless Stingray to throw in if anyone has a Warwick Thumb 6 they are looking to part with. Thanks.
  2. bassbenj

bassbenj

I have a spalted top Bass Mods K7 bass and it's a very great looking, and well made bass. I like it a lot. I give it a very positive review.

HOWEVER. My personal opinion is that if you love the tone of a stingray or Warwick, I think you may find the tone of the Bass Mods a bit on the "ordinary" side. Mine sounds very much like most active 6 string basses. Not that this is horrible or anything, but in most cases I prefer the more distinctive sound of my Conklin Bill Dickens 7 string. Not trying to discourage you, just give you a hint what to expect.
  3. Tre63

Tre63 Supporting Member

Thanks for the reply. I do like the tones I get from my Stingray HS and the older Stingrays as well. I am not as familiar with what the Warwick tone is...as I have never owned one. I know of a lot of people who play them.

If I am going to go for a 6 string I just don't want to waste money, not that anyone would...there is a big price difference in the K6 and Thumb 6. Maybe I will just hope for a good deal one a Thumb 6...Thanks again for the input.
  4. simenandreas

simenandreas

I am very curious about the bass mods too! I am going for an k5 though.. A bassmods jazz and a warwick thumb sounds very different. A warwick sounds very clear and hard. A jazz will sound a warmer with a more scooped sound. If I were you, I would go for an k6, but is just my option. You should try a warwick before you buy one.
  5. Tre63

Tre63 Supporting Member

6. bassbenj

bassbenj

Yes, I own one. Wandered into local Sam ash with nothing on my mind and tried it and KNEW I had to leave the store with it. Only I paid just a bit over $400. $415? $425? The most impressive thing about it to me was the neck. By far the BEST feeling factory neck I ever played. But impressive is all over this bass. The LOOK of the spalted maple was a sell as well. Since my Bass Mods 7 is spalted maple, I thought a spalted 6 and 7 string pair would be totally cool. It is! If I were going to fork out for a new 6 string bass this would be the one I'd get.

Oh wait! it WAS the one I got! Well, that's not quite true as I've got three SX 6ers I got new as well. But BOTH represent HUGE 6er deals. The SX do the Passive Fender Jazz clone but a 6er thing (and for cheap compared to what alternatives are) while the ESP represents a modern kind of bass with a clean active sound.

The only other 6ers in this price range I have are my Ibanez SRs. The GSR206 and the SR506. I got them used. They represent the "classic" modern active FAT kind of tone. The Ibby has an advantage of thin fast neck and light bass. The ESP is a VERY heavy bass. Each of these basses covers its own 6 string thing VERY well. It woudln't hurt owning them all. OH wait. I do.
  7. Tre63

Tre63 Supporting Member

Thanks for the info. I may just have to try one out.
  8. getlive

getlive

I have recently bought one of these basses, which I found new on eBay for about $700. It is undoubtedly an amazing deal for the price. It is a cherry sunburst, really nice feel, and really nice sound. Very nice workmanship and electronics. One of the nicest 6-strings in J-bass style that I've ever played. I am very happy with this bass in all aspects except on very important one - I find it to be prohibitively heavy! I haven't weighed it yet (I will do that shortly and post the result here), but it is by far the heaviest bass I've ever picked up. I seriously could not imagine getting through an entire two-hour set with this thing strapped on my back - it would probably require a trip to the chiropractor or massage therapist the next day! And I'm already used to playing a Fender Marcus Miller 5-string, which is already a heavy bass. I also use a heavy-duty Comfort Strap. But this bass makes the Fender feel literally like a toothpick! The weight is actually good in the sense that the low B-string can really resonate through the body. But it really is impractically heavy, and I don't know why the manufacturers needed to make it that way. That said, I find the instrument so beautiful that I don't think I would ever actually sell it. I guess I will just use it in the studio, where I can sit down and play… :(