Bass Mods K6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tre63, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Tre63

Tre63 Supporting Member

I have been looking at the Bass Mods k6 online for some time now. It looks like a great bass and I have read a few positive reviews.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Should I go for a K6 or just continue to save and buy a Warwick Thumb6?

I have a 90's Fretless Stingray to throw in if anyone has a Warwick Thumb 6 they are looking to part with. Thanks.
  2. bassbenj

bassbenj

I have a spalted top Bass Mods K7 bass and it's a very great looking, and well made bass. I like it a lot. I give it a very positive review.

HOWEVER. My personal opinion is that if you love the tone of a stingray or Warwick, I think you may find the tone of the Bass Mods a bit on the "ordinary" side. Mine sounds very much like most active 6 string basses. Not that this is horrible or anything, but in most cases I prefer the more distinctive sound of my Conklin Bill Dickens 7 string. Not trying to discourage you, just give you a hint what to expect.
  3. Tre63

Tre63 Supporting Member

Thanks for the reply. I do like the tones I get from my Stingray HS and the older Stingrays as well. I am not as familiar with what the Warwick tone is...as I have never owned one. I know of a lot of people who play them.

If I am going to go for a 6 string I just don't want to waste money, not that anyone would...there is a big price difference in the K6 and Thumb 6. Maybe I will just hope for a good deal one a Thumb 6...Thanks again for the input.
  4. simenandreas

simenandreas

I am very curious about the bass mods too! I am going for an k5 though.. A bassmods jazz and a warwick thumb sounds very different. A warwick sounds very clear and hard. A jazz will sound a warmer with a more scooped sound. If I were you, I would go for an k6, but is just my option. You should try a warwick before you buy one.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tre63

Tre63 Supporting Member

7. bassbenj

bassbenj

Yes, I own one. Wandered into local Sam ash with nothing on my mind and tried it and KNEW I had to leave the store with it. Only I paid just a bit over $400. $415? $425? The most impressive thing about it to me was the neck. By far the BEST feeling factory neck I ever played. But impressive is all over this bass. The LOOK of the spalted maple was a sell as well. Since my Bass Mods 7 is spalted maple, I thought a spalted 6 and 7 string pair would be totally cool. It is! If I were going to fork out for a new 6 string bass this would be the one I'd get.

Oh wait! it WAS the one I got! Well, that's not quite true as I've got three SX 6ers I got new as well. But BOTH represent HUGE 6er deals. The SX do the Passive Fender Jazz clone but a 6er thing (and for cheap compared to what alternatives are) while the ESP represents a modern kind of bass with a clean active sound.

The only other 6ers in this price range I have are my Ibanez SRs. The GSR206 and the SR506. I got them used. They represent the "classic" modern active FAT kind of tone. The Ibby has an advantage of thin fast neck and light bass. The ESP is a VERY heavy bass. Each of these basses covers its own 6 string thing VERY well. It woudln't hurt owning them all. OH wait. I do.
  8. Tre63

Tre63 Supporting Member

Thanks for the info. I may just have to try one out.
  9. getlive

getlive

I have recently bought one of these basses, which I found new on eBay for about $700. It is undoubtedly an amazing deal for the price. It is a cherry sunburst, really nice feel, and really nice sound. Very nice workmanship and electronics. One of the nicest 6-strings in J-bass style that I've ever played. I am very happy with this bass in all aspects except on very important one - I find it to be prohibitively heavy! I haven't weighed it yet (I will do that shortly and post the result here), but it is by far the heaviest bass I've ever picked up. I seriously could not imagine getting through an entire two-hour set with this thing strapped on my back - it would probably require a trip to the chiropractor or massage therapist the next day! And I'm already used to playing a Fender Marcus Miller 5-string, which is already a heavy bass. I also use a heavy-duty Comfort Strap. But this bass makes the Fender feel literally like a toothpick! The weight is actually good in the sense that the low B-string can really resonate through the body. But it really is impractically heavy, and I don't know why the manufacturers needed to make it that way. That said, I find the instrument so beautiful that I don't think I would ever actually sell it. I guess I will just use it in the studio, where I can sit down and play… :(