1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bass Mods Preamp EBQ12-35MSAP - SQ Deluxe V

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by aborg1, Dec 10, 2012.

1. aborg1

aborg1

I just installed EBQ12-35MSAP 3 Band Preamp Vol-blend-mid Stacked Treble and Bass Act/Pass Mini Switch to my Fender Squier Bass Deluxe Active V this weekend. The axe has a killer tone. It's hard to justify spending more money when you can install this preamp and sound monster. The installation was very easy, one sheet pictorial diagram. My pups cable had 3 wires and the bass mods diagram showed only ( 1 ) the main lead connecting to the master volume pots. The other leads were connected together on the original electronics pot, so I duplicate that and tied both to the case of the master volume pot. I used the original slap switch to turn the battery on and off. No more battery drain. Flawless.

I noticed that I needed to turn the gain down from the default shipped setting at 12 o'clock to about between 9 & 10 o'clock to reduce the mids and highs. This baby pumps massive clear clean low end ( no more muddy B String tone ) and still enough mid & highs for slap action. I've read enough reviews to surmise the mixed reviews needed self evaluation. Boy I'm glad I trusted my gut. I suggest installers utilize the copper tape cavity mod also.

Sorry for the awful picture attached.

2. Mykk

Mykk

I just stumbled upon Bass Mods recently, I ordered the BEQ12-34APJ for my Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V. I wired it up, modified the bass control cavity to fit the pre-amp and make a new cavity under the pickguard for the battery.

I took it out for the initial test drive at rehearsal tonight, amazing. It is exactly what I was looking for in this Bass. My VMJ5 already had Duncan SJP3-5 pickups & Babicz bridge, but this Bass Mods pre makes my Squier sound almost as good as my EMG BQ-A equip'd MIA Jazz.

[​IMG]

3. slapbass06

slapbass06

I have the same bass squier deluxe active and was thinking about this pre amp but the pickup wire are confusing please explain!

4. Mykk

Mykk

This pre-amp has a master volume and a blend pot. The pickups go to the center lugs of the blend pot, there are accurate instructions that come with the preamp

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. slapbass06

slapbass06

Each pickup has 3 wires and than a ground wire I know were the hot lead wire goes were does the the other 2 wires go