bass neck pocket too high

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by andysvec, Dec 7, 2013.

1. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

I have a modulus bassstar neck I'm building a new bass around, but ran into a problem and am looking for help.

The neck is straight and frets good, have a brand new Fender body, a Babicz bridge, but it seems the neck pocket isn't deep enough as when put together the saddles are maxxed out and still not quite high enough and action is bit too low.

A front shim won't do it, seems the heel on the neck is a 16th or more thicker overall than a standard fender type.

Do you think I'd be better routing the body a tiny bit to lower the pocket, or shimming the bridge, or is this bridge notorious for being low and I'd be better getting a gotoh 201 or something?

I'm thinking neck pocket work would be best, but I can't do that and have to find someone to do it correctly as even my luthier didn't want to attempt. Or maybe another quality bridge sits higher?
  2. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

I would shim the bridge first and see how that works. It's reversible and a lot less work
  3. Precision101

Precision101

I'd just get a bridge that sits higher. IMO I wouldn't go damaging the pocket of the neck because if you really screw up and it uneven then it just won't sit right. Try to find a bridge that will sit higher. Try a hipshot. They sit pretty high I think.
  4. andysvec

yeah, I'm thinking finding a bridge that sits bit higher would be easiest. Just traded my bass with a gotoh201 or else I'd try it, I know that one seemed higher than a badass or stock fender, need to look for another-
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mongo2

mongo2

Different bridge or shim the bridge you have.
  7. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

Longer saddle screws; it's not like they are a rare commodity. Easy to find; no mods.
  8. Precision101

Precision101

True!!
  9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Recently had a local guy route a little extra depth in a neck pocket for me. Did a perfect job and it cost me $25.00. If you have a local Woodcraft store, they should have a referral service for local woodworkers capable of taking on the job.
  10. unclebass

unclebass

longer saddle screws not an option on a babicz bridge, but I have used that option on fender bridges before.
  11. mongo2

mongo2

Exactly, same here.
  12. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Yeppers, pull the 7/16" stock saddle screws and replace them with 1/2"
  13. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

It's nice when people actually read what people write, plain hilarious when they don't bother :).

In Your place OP, I'd shim the bridge or look for another.

Shimming isn't as bad as it sounds, Gibson has used that appoach on Flying-V's with Kahlers for example.

If that was my project, I would route the neck pocket deeper, but then again I have a milling machine to do that with.

Regards
    Sam
  14. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

Shim the bridge unless you never plan on selling the body, then I guess you could route the neck pocket a bit deeper.
  15. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

Yes, I admit I MISSED the fact it was a Babicz. I'm human.

At least we have Sam here to always be right. :)
  16. jeffcarano

jeffcarano

Disclosures:
    Co-founder, Babicz Guitars and Full Contact Hardware
    Babicz supplies higher profile saddles to customers who come across the deeper neckpocket, at no charge....just send an email to them through their site and ask for the high profile bass saddles, and reference "JC-TalkBass" in your email, and the address you need them shipped to.
  17. bobdabilder

bobdabilder

That is awesome.

18. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

I don't have any experience with the Babicz bridge so I can't speak to how high up those can go. However, I do have a lot of experience with the Gotoh 201 (which I think is a very good bridge) and between the thickness of the base and the larger than average size of the bridge piece barrels, they can be raised higher than most bridges on the market and I've used them successfully in two situations that had the same issue as yours.
  19. andysvec

thanks, will contact now!
  20. andysvec

thanks, if the babicz issue doesn't work out I'm going to get another gotoh 201 and try it.

I remember getting a bridge years ago that came with a removable shim, might have been Schaller roller bridges 10-15 years ago? I think I had both a chrome and black one and never needed the shim, wonder if they still ship with that or maybe it was another brand...
  21. pfox14

pfox14

I would rout the neck pocket deeper so you have enough extra room to not have the saddles maxed out. Having the saddles as high as they can go will not provide a very sturdy foundation for the strings.