1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass newbie needs help choosing new bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tfish1000, Jan 6, 2014.

1. tfish1000

tfish1000

I've been playing bass for about 3 years now, and I currently play a MIA Jazz bass in our school's jazz band and our pep band, but I'm still playing on my starter Dean bass at home, and would like an upgrade. My current choices are:

A used MIM Precision bass, the store owners assure me it plays well and there aren't any flaws other than cosmetic ones.

A Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar bass for about the same price new, I've played one of these at the local guitar center and I loved the way it plays, but am I losing tone with the P/J duncan designed pickups compared to the MIM?

And finally, an Ibanez SR400, I like the lightness of this bass but I don't know if you can get the punchy lows and the mids of the P Bass with the active pickups.

I play in a three piece blues-rock band with my friends, and I would like a tone that's very heavy but cuts through the mix because our music is very bass-oriented thankfully.

Thanks for any help, this is my first post so I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this.
  2. ebannist

ebannist

Check out a Fender Reggie Hamilton bass! It's all you need.
  3. tfish1000

tfish1000

That's a bit out of my price range, I'm just a student with about a $450 limit, sorry.

It looks like everything I'd like though!
  4. Huge

Huge Hell is full of musical amateurs. Like me. Supporting Member

I'd play all of them, and pick the one that sounds best to me. Otherwise, I'd get the MIM. The Squiers do have a good rep though.
  5. Kustom_Thunder

Kustom_Thunder Supporting Member

P-bass I have had mine for 15 years
  6. Doctor Hugocat

Doctor Hugocat

How much does the guy want for the MIM P-bass? If your budget is $450 you should have enough to buy it and have a pro setup and string change done.....used MIMs go for about $300-350 around where I live. My friend bought a nice 2002 model from GC the other week for $299 plus tax.

If he wants sensible $$ for the P-bass, I'd go for that: very upgrade-able, good tone and generally god build quality.
  7. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

Well, I'd check out that MIM Fender before I made any other decisions. See if you like the way it plays compared to the Squier you liked so well.

Another thought is this: when you buy used, if you decide to sell later, you can sell at little to no loss. So factor that in.

"Losing" tone? I doubt it. A slightly different tone, perhaps.

You can get all the punchy lows and mids you need from actives. The SR400 won't sound like a P-bass though. Not better or worse, just different. Actives will generally give you a little more on-board tonal flexibility. The tradeoff is worrying about batteries. And some people just prefer passive tone.

Any of these basses will work fine, so go ahead and pick the one you like the best. There's no wrong choice here.

You're in the right place, and welcome. :)
  8. JCheung

JCheung Supporting Member

The Reggie Hamilton is an incredibly versatile design and, if its everything you need, might be worth saving for. You can probably get a used one near your budget so long as the neck is good and it plays to your liking. Of the ones you listed though I'd go with the MiM P bass
  9. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    Seeing as you play Dean, you should checkout the Eric Bass Hillsboro.....great playing and sounding bass for the money. Just a thought.
    Oh on the selections you have...the jaguar bass is most diverse in tones BUT, the meaty tones will be the MIM.
    If you can find a used PJ fender then THAT would be the better solution I feel.
    Good luck choosing.
  10. verycoolname

verycoolname

All three basses work well for what you're describing. I'm an Ibanez fan-girl...but that being said I'd go for the MIM Fender. Ibbys don't get really good until the SR500+ line...the SR400 is good (I've played a few), but at that point they're not on par with MIM Fenders (IMO).

I'd play all three, and if you really like the Ibanez then save a bit more for an SR500 or SR600. Someone recently posted here saying they got a new SR700 for less than $500! Look for deals like that.

I'm sticking with the Precision, based on your post. If it's not in terrible shape it'll be a great first bass. If you end up "growing out of it" you can always modify it, or sell it for as much as you bought it for (Fender resale value is pretty consistent).
  11. tfish1000

tfish1000

Thanks for all of the help everybody! Another quick question would be, what is a loud enough bass combo amp for under $500 to play with a guitarist and a drummer in mostly outside/small gigs?
  12. verycoolname

verycoolname

13. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6
    Checkout the Carvin combos....awesome!
  14. tfish1000

tfish1000

Is 200 Watts more than I need to be able to play gigs without P/A?
  15. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Don't get a combo get a USED hartke lh500 head for 200-250$. And a USED ampeg/hartke/GK speaker cabinet for the remaining 250. This was my first "band" rig and I've gotten bigger (gear) since then, but if I did it all over again that's what I would choose.

All that used gear is on the used GC website. Just type USED then the gear you want in the search bar of the GC website.

EDIT: this is a good cabinet

http://m.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-PEAVEY-TOUR-115-350W-BASS-CAB-109024835-i3140581.gc
  16. verycoolname

verycoolname

Depends on the size of the gig, but it should be enough. The GK and Ampeg both have outputs, so you can connect to a PA/soundboard to get louder.

Also a viable option.

GET IT! GET IT! GET IT! :hyper:
  17. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

You're gonna want a minimum of 200 watts or so. I use a GK MB115 for practice and smaller gigs. There are other good choices too.
  18. tfish1000

tfish1000

Wow, thanks a lot, you guys all helped me make up my mind easier than it has been looking around on these forums and reading reviews!
  19. verycoolname

verycoolname

No problem. Welcome to TalkBass!
  20. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

If I may "muddy the waters" a little bit; ergonomically speaking, it sounds like you've adjusted to a Jazz bass already. Does the MIA Jazz leave you feeling achey/sore/uncomfortable afterwards? Do you feel like you're "fighting it" to hit all the right notes? If not, wouldn't seeking out something with a similar shape and design make sense?