1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Bass newbie needs help upgrading!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tfish1000, Jan 26, 2014.

1. tfish1000

tfish1000

I've been playing bass for around 3 years now and I would like an upgrade. Could you help me pick a bass for around $350? I have a few that i'm already looking at.

http://www.musicgoround.com/p/98955/used-ibanez-sr500-bartolinis

I like the thin neck on these, but I'm worried I'm curious about the active electronics and if you can get a nice smooth tone like a precision or jazz with pickups blended.

http://www.musicgoround.com/p/90010/used-fender-mim-p-bass-wbag

I've been looking at a precision bass for a while, because I like the way it sits in the sound when I use my friend's when we jam, but I'm not a huge fan of the neck, if I end up buying one though I'm sure I can adjust.

http://www.musicgoround.com/p/17351/used-fender-j-bass
    or
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/squier-classic-vibe-jazz-bass-60s-bass-guitar

I like the necks on jazz basses, but I'm not sure how well they can sit in the mix or come forward when I play with others. Also curious about the production and sound quality between the CV bass and the MIM.

I deeply appreciate any help and opinions I can get!
  2. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core Supporting Member

In my opinion a jazz style can be used with any style of music
  3. soulman969

soulman969

You won't have any trouble getting a jazz bass to sit in the mix unless you're playing Death Metal tuned down a step and half or two and your guitarists play baritone guitars. LOL

Jazz Basses are very versatile. You can get a Jazz to sound fairly close to a PBass tonally but not the other way around. An advantage a PBass has is that split coil pickup sitting right in the "sweet spot". That's what gives it it's powerful punchy low mids bottom end. You can also find PBasses that have had their necks replaced with a Jazz Bass neck.

I haven't played an MIM Bass recently but I own two CVs that are as good as players as any MIA Fender Bass I've ever owned and there have been many. The basses may well be the all stars of the CV line and IMHO they're every bit as good as an MIM as long as you're content with a more limited color selection.

The pickups in both are for all practical purposes the same Alnico V type Fender has used for years. They're quite good but not outstanding. That's an easy fix though especially in a PBass. I have a Bill Lawrence/Wilde P46 in mine that's the best I've ever played and it runs $60 so you can easily replace it and sell the stock pickup for $25-$30.

The necks on the CV PBasses are somewhat larger than the Jazz Bass (4mm wider and a bit deeper) but they aren't as huge as the old late '50s and '60s tree trunks Fender was putting on them then. I can go back and forth between mine with no problem at all. It's not something most players can't adjust too.

I don't think you can go wrong with either a CV or an MIM and you're likely to find used ones around for $100 or more less than new which would save you some $$$ that could be used for upgrades if you choose to do that.
  4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

When I hear someone asking about a Jazz-necked Precision bass, I usually recommend a Blacktop Jazz…doubly so if they're looking for something that packs a helluva punch, sonically speaking.
  5. andrklet

andrklet Guest

When I recently uppgraded to something better than my old Cort, which I was learning on. I first decided on the Ibanez 500, especially since I loved the thin neck. Yes, small hands. But after trying one alongside a couple of Fender Jazzes, I ended up whith a Jazz Modern Player. The US Jazz I tried was sweet, but way to expencive for me. Also I felt the MP whith it's humbucker pups gave me just that bit of extra punch and power. The Ibanez didn't quite give me the sound and feel I wanted. Don't know if it had anything to do with active vs passive. But I'm happy knowing I'm not dependant on a battery in my bass now.