1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Bass nut slot too deep...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Simon Langley, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

"A" string nut slot a little too deep and buzzes when plucking open string. Wondering best method to fill in nut slot and redo it. Does it need to be filled in all the way and start over or can just a little material be added to raise it up a little? Bass is a Gibson SG bass with a white corian nut.

2. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Works but I've never been 100% satisfied with the results...YMMV. I much prefer to remove the nut and glue / clamp a super-thin piece of veneer or beer can aluminum to the base and re-install. This corrects the low slot issue but also leaves the other 3 on the high side...but that's why we have nut files. A few swipes on each and you'll be back in spec in no time. I actually prefer the veneer as it can be easily worked with an xacto blade, sanded to shape along its perimeter, and takes glue well. The repair is permanent and virtually invisible.

Riis